Could Someone Tell Me What Pulsatile Tinnitus Is?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vickilynn, Nov 27, 2013.

1. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Sometimes if a sound is just right and repetitive like a drum beat will feel a pulse in my ears with the beat. Is that it or is it something else? How many kinds of tinnitus is there anyway? I have no clue what type I have, I only know there is ringing in my ears.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Some people experience a sound that beats in time with the pulse (pulsatile tinnitus, or vascular tinnitus).[18]
      Pulsatile tinnitus is usually objective in nature, resulting from altered blood flow or increased blood turbulence near the ear (such as from atherosclerosis or venous hum,[19]) but it can also arise as a subjective phenomenon from an increased awareness of blood flow in the ear.[18]
      Rarely, pulsatile tinnitus may be a symptom of potentially life-threatening conditions such as carotid artery aneurysm[20] or carotid artery dissection.[21]
      Pulsatile tinnitus may also indicate vasculitis, or more specifically, giant cell arteritis.
      Pulsatile tinnitus may also be an indication of idiopathic intracranial hypertension.[22]

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Vicki,

Most of us with pulsatile tinnitus hear, and feel, the pulsating continuously, and it is exactly in time with our pulse.

In your case, since your ear is already sensitive because of tinnitus, it may be reacting to a sound like a drumbeat. But if it only occurs occasionally, you most likely don't have pulsatile tinnitus.

At least, that's my guess!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Wow, diseases/conditions I've never even heard of.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      No I don't think I do. It's usually just a steady ring, though it does go up and get louder for seconds and come back down again at times.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. It sounds like you have regular tinnitus. With regular tinnitus, there can be a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes, when I turn my head too quickly, my ears will change pitch for a few minutes. Then, it goes back to the normal ringing. It's pretty crazy sometimes!

7. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      I wish I could add to the definition. I just want to add to the forum.

I hear every heartbeat, like 8 kHz sonar ping's, in my head.
      Never planned on this in life.
      Turns out I've inherited or have the same medical problems that my Father had when he was older.
      Today is not too good for my T. I'm just amazed the days go by, somehow I tolerate it.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @James,

Did your father have pulsatile tinnitus, too? Just curious as to whether that could be inherited, along with other health conditions.

I'm sorry you're having a bad T day, and hope tomorrow is better for you!

I just wanted to let you know, too, that my pulsating seems better lately. I've been taking a natural supplement that is supposed to help blood pressure. It is called CardiTone. I thought I'd tell you about it, in case it might help you, too.

Best wishes,
      Karen

9. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hi Karen,

My Father, I know, he had Tinnitus at a later age, the pulsing thing - I don't know.
      He also had thyroid problems, and so do I.
      Also a shoulder impingement, and so do I. Anybody might get that I guess.

Other issues, like diabetes I believe, can run in families, which some relative had and showed up in my sister's daughter, type 1. I had a great Dad; we went duck hunting when I was young. Perhaps being around shotguns contributed to the ears giving way at a later age. Perhaps there's more to genetics than one might think,
      after all, my parents gave me these ears.

Happy Thanksgiving Karen and to all your family.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it makes me think that the propensity, or the inclination, toward certain conditions is inherited. My mother had an underactive thyroid, and so do I. And I've recently learned that my brother has tinnitus, too. I think a lot of it does have to do with genetics.

Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving, too!!

11. elliemeeme
      Sleepy

elliemeeme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/15/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unkown
      This is going to be strange, and I hope I don't gross anyone out here, but I noticed when I hear it, it is like my pulse/heartbeat, and I go to the bathroom #2 it seems to become a continuous roar instead of the pulsations during the straining part, lol. Has anyone else noticed that?