Day to Day Hearing Changes, Cold and Tinnitus, Deep Water Bath's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by bwspot, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Dr. Nagler,
      Please forgive me if this is a question that was asked or is similar to what was discussed before, but I would love to hear your opinion on my own case. You support on this forum is enormous and your answers gives me hope.

As I explained before I started to have tinnitus after dental work and some music listening.
      It is mostly high frequency hissing that I mostly feel in my left ear, but it moves to right from time to time.
      When my hearing was tested by audiologist I was told I had slight loss at 4K. I was told that for my age (39) it is normal. I was never tested professionally for high frequency loss but just 1 day before I got T I was able to hear up to 18400. (luckily, that day I was experimenting with music and sound generator while learning about the audio and spectrum)
      Once I got the T, the tones below 18400 were either there or not depending on the days. I only would test myself with very low volume as I was afraid to do more damage. What I noticed was that sometimes I would hear the tone the first time I would generate it and the next time it would be gone. The test was as simple as generating the tone at specific frequency. It felt like the brain would allow to hear the tone once and then it would shut.

Is this normal with T that one can hear some frequencies one day and cannot hear them the other day?
      Can hearing change like that? If yes what is happening? Are the cells slowly dying one by one as part of the process that started the T?

Later, at some point, I took a bath and put my head under the water and let the water enter the ears.
      Since then I do have refrigerator sound in my right ear.

Could contact with water cause the additional refrigerator like sound T or it was just coincidence?
      Could I do any test do rule out any possible simple cause?
      Should I see ENT for this problem?

Lastly, in recent two weeks I got a cold and I noticed the high frequency T to spike a lot together with the refrigerator sound. I flew the day that I got the cold. I used the Er20 plugs and I had my ears covered with additional over the ear headsets. I noticed that my ear drums were jumping like crazy after the plane landed and after I removed my plugs. Could plugs be a problem while flying because they block the air flow or something like that? During the cold I also noticed my hearing in left ear got worse. (the one I mostly hear my high frequency hissing) Could cold afftect the hearing?

Could cold affect the T volume and why this is happening? I also feel like left ear is clogged and full.
      I do still have little cold symptoms but in general I am getting better.

Thank you

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I wish I could lend some insight, but there are so many variables that I'd just be guessing.

My suggestion would be for you to check with an ENT, who will be able to review your audiological findings and personally examine you thoroughly.

All the best -

Dr. Stephen Nagler