Dental Amalgam Fillings Causing Tinnitus/Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Martinf, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hey guys, I came across this regarding amalgam fillings causing hearing loss:

Evidence that Mercury from Dental Amalgam May Cause Hearing Loss in Multiple Sclerosis Patients

"6 of 7 women had significant hearing improvement after their amalgam fillings were removed. The researchers concluded that amalgam fillings may be a significant factor in hearing loss"

I am reading this and tomorrow I have an appointment with my dentist to fill my abscessed tooth, I also have another 2 abscessed teeth. Now I am so worried that this is going to make me lose more of my hearing?

I also started to think that my tinnitus might be caused by my teeth? I had mercury fillings before on other teeth.

Could this be the reason why I developed hearing loss and thus tinnitus?

What is the more "friendly" material for my ears that I can use for my tooth filling?

I need help :)

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @Martinf this is a non issue. Amalgam fillings are rarely used nowadays and old ones are being replaced.

Alternatives are: ceramic and composite plastic. The former is very strong and good but more expensive, while composite plastic is cheaper but still okay. I'd always choose ceramic fillings if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thank you, but I have old teeth filled with mercury anyway, it makes me wonder if it has contributed to my hearing loss/tinnitus.

4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It could have contributed. Amalgam fillings are awful! Please have them removed and replaced with ceramic or plastic ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Martinf -- Very possible that could be the case; in my mind, quite likely. Below is a link to a remarkable story you may be interested in. The last paragraph of the story (pasted below) is pretty extraordinary, where he details how mercury had affected his brain (and life) for so many years. As so many on this forum know, what affects the brain usually affects the ears and/or tinnitus.

I had all my mercury fillings removed many years ago, and I discovered there was tooth decay beneath all of those fillings--the kind of thing that usually leads to various kinds of abscesses and infections. So, another good reason to have amalgams replaced. -- BTW, I've read testimonials of people using various kinds of alternative methods to clear up abscesses without having to do the traditional dental and root canal route.

If you do have your amalgams replaced, be sure to find a reputable dentist who is well versed on how to protect you from mercury vapors that are released during the process. A rubber dam, high volume suction, and additional amounts of Vitamin C are some of the top things to be aware of. -- I've read other accounts of people tracing their tinnitus to heavy metal toxicity.

Best...

My Mercury Story

"Now, looking back, I realize that I lived most of my life with a number of negative personality traits and emotional ailments that were actually caused by mercury. My bad memory, extreme shyness, very low self esteem, fear of commitments (especially in relationships), history of suicidal thoughts and fear of confrontations is now gone, not to mention horrible depression, and all of these changes have dramatically improved the quality of my life."​

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thank you guys, I just got back home from dentist. Oh man those drills were so high pitched and loud. I thought today is the dental filling work day, but she cleaned my root canal as it seems I have abscess there. My tinnitus was faint after the dental work for few minutes, now it is back to what it was with some fluctuations. Could be the placebo effect. I will keep you updated guys anyway.

7. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      @Martinf Did you get your dental fillings (mercury ones) removed? If so, how did it go?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Not yet but I will have them replaced with composite fillings soon.

9. maglincer

maglincer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      young kid
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mercury fillings
      I had bad tinnitus as a child with a mouth full of mercury fillings. I don't have tinnitus at all anymore as I had the fillings removed years ago. There are heaps of studies showing mercury can cause tinnitus. Just go on Google Scholar and check for yourself. I had a theory that I was more susceptible to mercury than most people and got tested using the MELISA Mercury Test and I was found to be hyperallergic to all forms of mercury as I correctly guessed. I also had ulcers in my mouth constantly and my lymph nodes were constantly swollen. These issues are also related to mercury.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1