Did Anyone Else Had Their Tinnitus Begin Following a Hearing Test (Days After a Noise Trauma)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had my hearing test done 11 days after my acoustic trauma (at the time, I was experiencing ear fullness). My T began in the evening of the day of the hearing test. One person on TT mentioned that he saw a medical paper advising against having hearing tests following an acoustic trauma, as this can lead to tinnitus. We are still in the process of trying to locate that paper.

Is there anyone else who has had a similar experience?

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Only after an acoustic reflex test, not tone audiometry.

• Like Like x 1
    3. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety from chronic pain; triggered by Audio test
      Hey @Bill Bauer we've spoken already and I think that my T was brought on by the hearing test. Before I was pretty normal. I only had the slight ring for 5 seconds once per day. I now regret having gone to the ENT and having the audio test done. I remember wincing in pain at high decibel levels. I got home that night and the hissing started. I know it's early and only been 5 days, but I'm realizing how my current social life is now impacted and how I need to be careful of all social settings at the moment. Anyone with slight or intermittent rings should never have this test done.

4. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No more football games at stadium
      No movies in theater. Most be careful at birthday parties or weddings. It's crazy. Hopefully I get to a point where it's stable and I can do some of these things without fear of any spikes. I think I have to consider my T being brought on by an acoustic incident, but I had a possible underlying predisposition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Was that during the pressure test? During the hearing test, I remember the sounds as being barely audible.

6. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Both. I winced when the pressure from the plugs was applied and when the sound was piped in at high decibels I heard them and I winced. My ears felt real sensitive. I had complained that my ear had hurt a bit by my jaw and the ENT just said it might be from grinding my teeth. He felt I did a bit of that. I had no idea. I'm assuming this has only been lately that I've been under tremendous stress from work and chronic pain (which resulted from stress). I notice I tighten my jaw now a lot more.

• Like Like x 1