Did Anyone Else Have Ear Fullness Last for Months After Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, May 13, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My ear fullness and hyperacusis ended about six months after my acoustic trauma...

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

I've had these ear problems since March, 4 days after the Tinnitus began. Earache and vertigo, and I'm not sure if it was the constant stress in those 4 days which caused it. The earache and dizziness has gone but still left with the ear popping/crackling/clogging.

3. brandonlucky

brandonlucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Bill,

Did the ear fullness seem to leave when the hyperacusis left? I feel the hyperacusis might be keeping mine there.

4. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      For a month after I got my T I had ear fullness, and hyperacusis lasted maybe a couple weeks total(I would hear very high pitched chirps from appliances and such). I had fluid in my ears for two weeks, which was part of the fullness probably, and I always attributed the H to the fluid. I had a decent amount of time w/o H while still having fullness(though the fullness wasn't as bad) so I don't know if fullness really goes with H in my estimation.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I remember correctly, first ear fullness was gone and then hyperacusis stopped really bothering me.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      In my 4th month now. After acoustic trauma I had ear fullness every morning, and it would typically subside with 1-3 hours. For the past few weeks I haven't been getting it in the mornings anymore, and if I do it's very mild and goes away within 30 minutes. I might get it temporarily after a workout.

I agree with some of the posters that it may be an inflamed muscle issue. I could have been getting it in the morning because the sleeping position was aggravating the muscle. Same with workouts.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had exposure to noise recently and my fullness spiked again along with tinnitus. Fullness is very bad now. Given that it's 24/7 for me and previously had never resolved, I'm considering futher options now like carbamazepine, anesthetic injections into wisdom teeth locations from dental office for short term relief and botox injection later on if possible. Botox injections are gonna be hard to do in my country, chances of finding a doctor familiar with delivering injections into middle ear or eustachian tube muscles are very remote.

My fullness is in both ears, in one ear it's worse than another, but this can travel from one ear to another, so the problem is not in the ear itself. Something wrong with the brain center which controls the muscle tone it seems.

I have experienced ear clicking and eardrum vibrating a few times before the most recent worsening, but these were very episodic events and it didn't stick with me. Curiously, when there was clicking or vibrations, the fullness maintained the same intesity, so probably these are eustachian tube muscles which misfire in my case.

I had taken clonazepam and baclofen over the years to access their effects on my fullness, but they did nothing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Forgot to mention that my fullness has always been on right side.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you sure those are not ototoxic? Making it worse is the last thing you want to do...

10. David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

Do you think high sugar foods make this worse?

11. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had more than a dozen fillings and a crown done over last two years. Nothing adverse so far.

For me food doesn't affect it. Stress and fatigue - they do.

12. MandyT

MandyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi! How long did you have your ear fullness before it went away? I’m now on month ten with fullness. I guess it’s improved from the onset but still hoping it will continue to go away. It’s so hard to deal with some days.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After about a year, it was mostly gone...
      If it has improved, there is no reason for it to not continue to improve. There is still a reasonable chance that a year from now you will be feeling better than you are feeling now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. MandyT

MandyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Thank you. The loud crackling is also hard. I use Otovent to help the pressure. What tips do you have if any?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Mi1

Mi1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firework
      How is your tinnitus now?

17. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      Mine seems to de disappearing after a whole year. Not a couple of months.

How is your hearing. Is it distorted or normal?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Normal.

19. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      Did it used to be distorted? Bro you are blessed, you don't even know. I hope I'll get there soon again so I can hear music the right way again.

20. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

did you have pain hyperacusis?

21. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I had an issue with a concert in June and I’m still having the feeling of fullness in my ears. It’ll clear up for a few hours during the day on occasion, but that’s it really. Mornings feel the worst

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. PebblesForNow
      Busy

PebblesForNow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune disease and noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Bill - Did the fullness leave all at once, or did it fade gradually over days/weeks toward the end of the 6 months? Anything you did that helped, other than giving it time?

23. Jay Singh

Jay Singh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I’m on my 2nd week since my acoustic trauma incident. A friend’s child I was holding decided to scream as loud as she could directly in my left ear. Ear fullness was the most prominent symptom after the incident.

5 days post incident, I started on Prednisone at the recommendation of the ENT after they saw mild hearing loss as a result of the trauma.

What scares me is that the ringing started and things got worse a week into the Prednisone treatment! My ear fullness is at an all time high.

When I pop my ear, I do get relief for about 2-3 seconds, but the ringing is getting worse.

Curious if this is just the inflammation. Would love to hear other people’s experiences.

24. Skink

Skink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos?; head injury?; trigeminal neuralgia?
      Jay, I totally have that too. In fact, all my problems began with ear fullness, and feeling like I had fluid in there (which in fact I do, according to the ENT.) I learned to pop my ears and it helps, but not nearly enough. The ENT gave me Prednisone and two nose sprays, but I am reluctant to do it for fear it could make things worse. She says my ears produce too much moisture, and the Eustachian tubes cannot drain it so fast. Why? As a response to common irritants, she says. But then, why is my body responding so to common irritants?

25. HearingHell

HearingHell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise + COVID-19
      I developed ear fullness in my left ear and dysacusis in both ears. I got my ears checked and there was nothing inside either of them.

The ear fullness went away after 2 weeks but the dysacusis remained.

26. JJJ147

JJJ147 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music festival
      Hi,

I experienced acoustic trauma at a music festival, two and a half months ago.

I have still got aural fullness in my left ear.

Would anyone have thoughts on whether this is likely to go away?

The ENT doctor said that it was probably a strained stapedius muscle, and suggested that it could resolve.

It would be good for the feeling of fullness to go.

27. John's Mom

John's Mom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      When I had my first acoustic trauma and tinnitus started as a result, I didn't have any ear fullness. But after the next episode of my hyperacusis, about 1.5 years after the tinnitus started, I felt migrating ear fullness - some time in one ear, some time in another. It resolved quite quickly - in a week or a bit more.

• Like Like x 1