Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Rey

Many of these posts really do show how our T differs. I do think that the fact that we all have different 'levels' of minerals and salts to start with is a major factor too.

Over time I've discovered which foods affect my T - and Rey saying that lemon and tea don't have an effect just shows me how different we all are and how different our T is. They didn't use to be (and I wish they weren't) but lemon and tea are in my list of to be avoided at all costs. Which I hate because I love lemon and I love tea :cry:
      Lemon especially has a huge effect on the volume for me.

It's been over 3 years for me now and I know without a shadow of doubt that controlling my diet means I am controlling the volume of the screeching - for me.

Some things make my T appear even though I've controlled my diet - for instance a car journey that causes vibration - going up and down hills - can give me 3 days of buzzing (often not starting until the day after the journey - although sometimes it begins during the journey itself) regardless of what I have eaten.

I've tested, re-tested, begun again, thrown away MASSES of food, gone down to just 2 types of food a day & gradually re-introduced more... for absolutely ages. And I do have days where I think 'to hell with it' and have a packet of crisps (or 2!) & then suffer for a couple of days afterwards. The irony is that I don't even like crisps!

When I consume too much salt my T volume goes up. If I stick to my 'T diet' my T goes away - completely. I am sitting in silence now. If I grabbed some ham and cheese (I can't because I haven't got any... but... just as an example) to have a night time snack, then tomorrow my T would screech all day.

I know that we should try to reduce anxiety & stress and that controlling diet isn't for everyone but, for me, it's worth it. I HATE having the noise in my head and I LOVE silence. Every morning I still get the 'buzz' but I wait and it goes away (when I've got the diet right).

Some say that it's not worth eliminating the pleasure of eating (and it does - it stops you being able to have a 'normal' restaurant meal and often prevents you being able to share food that friends have made) - that you shouldn't worry about your T - just forget about it. Well I tried really hard to do this and I couldn't. The noise in my head wouldn't let me. I was basically going insane. For me, cutting out certain foods is a cheap price to pay for silence & I would have sacrificed so much more than food to achieve the same result.

Example of a day's diet that keeps my T under control (because I really appreciated Rey's):

Breakfast:
      Nescafe unsweetened cappaccino (2 sachets in one large cup)
      15g of mixed freshly ground organic (non salted) cashews, brazil nuts & pistachios
      plus 2 tblsps Rachels Organic Honey Yoghurt & teaspoon of organic cold-pressed flax oil

Lunch:
      Yakult probiotic
      Two Pure Synergy Bone Renewal capsules (not because of bones but because it was the only supplement that I could find that contained what I wanted in a non-chemical form - ie. the capsules contain food)

Mackerel & tomato sauce on sliced organic tomatoes on unsalted lurpack on 1 toast topped with a generous helping of parsley and a single slice of applewood cheese... grilled.

Dinner:
      Lean part of fillet steak cooked in organic coconut oil with organic onion
      Mashed organic sweet potato
      Organic carrots & french beans - steamed

Spoonful of Comvita UMF Manuka Honey 10+

Loads of Bobble filtered water throughout the day & sometimes another nescafe

Click

ps. @Jarvik - I agree - the UK Government lies - all the time - about almost everything.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I went to the university hospital and my doctor told me that my right ear was a bit irritated and he told that it will go away in 1-2 weeks since I was exposed to loud music recently. I am just trying to prevent it to make it worse and wait. Is it true that chocolate, salt and caffeine can make it worse, because I am just concerned about my tinnitus in my right car.

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I've found absolutely zero correlation between diet and symptoms. I do find a correlation between caffeine intake and anxiety though. Anxiety makes it more difficult to deal with the same level of symptoms.

4. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Alright, thanks.

5. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      As Tom mentioned, improving your diet will help with anxiety and relaxing will help dim the T. So focus on eating as healthy a diet as you can, but don't go crazy cutting things out or that will just make you more stressed. Personally, I realized how crappy my diet was before the T started, so I increased vegetables and protein, started taking B-complex and magnesium and committed to a daily fish oil pill since I don't eat fish. All of these things have really helped the anxiety, which in turn has helped the T. Mine has been 24/7 and unmaskable, but I'm starting to get some quiet moments.

I still eat chocolate and sugar and those things have no effect. Caffeine actually makes my T quieter, but I only drink it in the morning so that I can sleep at night. Salt? Not sure. I've always been a bit of a saltaholic and am 'm trying to be more careful and eat fewer processed foods, but I'm not radically cutting salt. For those with Meniere's, it is supposed to help, but you don't have that.

Have you looked into taking NAC? Some people say that taking that during the early phase will help the healing process, but there are pros and cons.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Before my onset of t, I was addicted to Coke Zero for years snd still drink diet sodas. Could that have given me T!?! Nobody knows lol.

7. Alper
      Angry

Alper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Aspartame in light drinks can give T!!

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      :cautious::cautious::cautious:
      Well this is weird because I was told that salt has a definite effect on Menieres, making the symptoms of nausea, dizziness etc. all far worse (affecting the endolymph in the inner ear).

I was also told (after being told that I had labyrinthitis) that Menieres was just a convenient name that the medical profession uses for a whole array of symptoms affecting balance/ears etc., rather than a specific condition, because there is so little medical knowledge in this field & almost zero cures.

All these tales were from members of the medical profession.

As for driving you insane - it's true - I'm regularly reading how synthetically produced vitamins are rubbish and useless & that the only effective way of increasing levels is by consuming the right foods that contain them. Synthetic vitamins have always given me a fuzzy head & made me feel disorientated - even before T. I did try the wonderful ones that are advertised as 'whole food' vitamins (for vast sums of money!) & then I found out that I was basically swallowing a combination of fungus and green stuff from the bottom of lakes - so I stopped (saving myself a fortune) & started cooking chicken livers instead (really hard for an ex-vegan - they make me want to throw up.... but at least I'm getting all those B vitamins ... along with a load of stuff that's bad for me).

Trying to figure out how to eat a healthy diet that doesn't make my T louder is sooooooo hard ! Salicylates, higher in oh so healthy organic veg (without pesticides the veggies need more of them!), high in all the fruit I adore, impossible to figure out because nobody reveals how many years the apples have been in storage... and to top it all, the only extensive studies were done on foreign soil and probably have no significance into UK anyway!

I'd rather be driven insane by this though than by loud screaming T.

I do know though that salt is now my enemy. It affects the volume of my T in a more drastic and prolonged way than anything else. Probably because my diet is devoid of fast food, MSG etc. anyway (otherwise they may be worse). Mint is also bad... large amounts make it shriek but not for such a long period of time.

If my T has gone completely on a Monday & I have a high salt day.. then by Tuesday or Wednesday my head will be screeching so much that I can hardly believe that it wasn't there 2 days before. And it will go on and on and on - continuously for up to 4 days.. driving me insane.

• Like Like x 1
    9. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I wish cutting sodium would help lower my t, but I tried it and it had no affect. I have heard that it helps a lot of people with Meniere's. I have a wide array of middle ear issues but no diagnosed inner ear or vestibular issues.

10. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update me on what happened. That kinda happened to me and I'm a bit scared that it'll never go away.

11. Nightman

Nightman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post Sinus Surgery (was there before, but barely noticeable)
      There really seems to be a lot of hearsay being thrown around.

While it's true that things like MSG heavy foods are best avoided, that's never the whole answer. I have tinnitus ever since I had sinus surgery in October 2015, although I recall having a very faint ringing whenever in complete silence, now it's very noticeable when there's even moderate environmental sounds around. Only very loud sounds can mask it completely.

Anyways, ultimately the best thing you can do (and this covers avoiding MSG, aspartame, junk good, sugar, etc) is simply to eat healthy. Unfortunately, 99% of people have no idea what this means or are unwilling to put in the effort. The #1 basic rule I apply is if it comes in any kind of packaging, then it's garbage (not necessarily things like teas, meats, and fresh items). Stick to the basics at the store; fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, fermented products, breads, nuts, legumes, etc. Stick to juices, and avoid pop. Yes, juice has sugar, but it's not the same as the processed sugar in soft drink. There's a lot of very bad misinformation regarding sugar. The two important things you need to remember are: if it's in a fruit or vegetable then it's good, if it's in a processed food like a soft drink or packaged item (play this game, pick up any random packaged item in the grocery store and try to find one that doesn't have HFCS, GFS, corn starch, or any kind of corn based sugar. Hint: you won't win) Don't buy chips, junk food, ready made dinners, hot pockets, or any of that crap.

I have no measurable hearing loss, in fact my thresholds are better than the average norm (this doesn't include possible "hidden hearing loss") but I have moderate tinnitus. My hope is that the tinnitus is being caused by inflammation in my sinuses and surrounding tissue, but hopes are meant to be dashed. There's always the chance that mine is being caused by progressive or degenerative nerve damage.

As for the aspartame issue (and this goes for things like MSG, sugar, bad food in general) has a more basic or root cause. It's bad for your stomach, or rather the bacteria in your stomach. In the past few years there has been a massive increase in the number of clinical studies involving gut bacteria and their effects on our health. Aspartame, for example, has been found to kill off healthy gut bacteria and even has measurable effects on increased weight gain in obese people. There are droves of research coming out showing that unhealthy gut bacteria effects literally every aspect of our health from weight gain, rheumatoid arthritis, Chron's disease, allergies, peanut allergies, and depression and anxiety.

Decades ago when serotonin and its link to neural activity were discovered it was thought that the majority of it was produced within the brain for its own uses. Then a number of years ago they made the shocking discovery that only a small percentage of it is produced by the brain and that more than 90+% came from unknown sources. Then even more recently they discovered the unknown source was actually bacteria in your stomach! This was the first direct clinic proof that can directly link unhealthy eating to depression and anxiety. And I think it's already been established that anxiety/stress can exacerbate the volume of tinnitus.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying that healthy gut bacteria will magically heal you or anything like that. While our gut bacteria may or may not directly effect aspects of our health, they do cause cascade effects like throwing off our hormone balance which can lead to other problems. The food we eat is like the gas we put in your car. You can have a brand knew, perfect condition sports car that's been checked by dozens of top mechanics and it will still run like crap if you put garbage, years old gas in. Imagine what would happen to the engine and its components if you started to put sand in your gas. So by figuratively eating food full of sand we are damaging ourselves.

Of course, there's always the change that a component in our car is faulty, and while putting in clean gas may not fix the problem, it will definitely help it from getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Diet is very important in the functional treatment of tinnitus. It is recommended to avoid sugar (saccharose), sodium glutamate, GLUTEN, aspartame. Avoid Milk products. With the diet, you can detox your body and repair your gut microbiota. It takes almost two years but as I said before it's very important. Take care and blessings.

13. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Omega-3's are oto-protective, if you don't want your T to get worse, you can guarantee it with a swig of COD LIVER OIL each morning :) go ears go

14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Food, drink and tinnitus

Many years ago when I first got tinnitus, I wanted to learn as much as possible about it. I believed acquiring the right knowledge and being proactive was the best way forward in finding a cure. Like many people new to the condition I was desperate and going through a very difficult time. My appointment to be seen at ENT for the first time was six months away and it couldn’t come soon enough. Whenever I could manage it, I read books on tinnitus and it wasn’t long before I learnt certain foods and drinks could make it worse.

The advice given was to keep a food diary and over a period of time, slowly omit certain foods and drink from one’s diet to see if there was a reduction of the tinnitus, and if there wasn’t reintroduce them. One of the main concerns was to avoid excessive salt and where possible reduce its intake. Cut down on red meat and avoid dairy products. Limit the use of sugar and refrain from drinking anything containing caffeine. It would mean missing my regular cup of coffee first thing in the morning but it would be worth it since I was on a mission and determined to succeed.

Alcohol was best avoided. I wasn’t a regular drinker but enjoyed a glass of wine or brandy occasionally. Surprisingly, with the onset of my tinnitus I found a glass of wine during the evening helped to relax me. Everywhere that I went I had my notebook and pen writing down everything I eat or drank. At first there was a lot of enthusiasm but as the days and weeks passed this began to wane.

Constantly reading the ingredience of every food item bought at the weekly shop can get tedious after a while, especially when there was no noticeable reduction in my tinnitus. I began to feel miserable and at times felt life wasn’t worth living. Having to cope with raging tinnitus and hyperacusis on one hand and monitoring every morsel of food and drink that passed my lips on the other. It just wasn’t a pleasant experience.

I missed my regular cup of coffee because the caffeine free substitutes weren’t doing it for me. After enduring this for five weeks I decided enough was enough. I put my notebook and pen away and returned to my normal eating and drinking. I now looked forward to having a sirloin or ribeye steak without thinking is this going to increase my tinnitus, or eating a sugar coated jam doughnut or having yoghurt. One can easily be drawn into a world of paranoia over such issues if they aren’t careful. I became less stressed and I was no longer plagued with headaches, which can be a symptom of caffeine withdrawal.

The result was no difference in my tinnitus or hyperacusis. Although they were still intrusive I felt life was more tolerable and I wasn’t constantly monitoring them to see if there was any reduction or increase as a result of what I eat or drank.

There are many books on food, drink and tinnitus and the Internet is awash with this information. My advice to anyone that is new to this condition and wants to pursue this route then please do so with caution. In the early stages tinnitus can be very stressful and emotionally draining. Do you really want to put more pressure on yourself considering what I’ve mentioned above?

It is true that some people are allergic to certain foods and drink and the addictives present withing them. Therefore, it’s important they be aware of what they consume. I had taken no such precautions before the onset of my tinnitus other than to eat and drink in moderation.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Alcohol in high doses is the only thing that makes my condition worse. Usually also sets off myoclonus so its great fun with a hangover and sleep deprivation too. Coffee, chocolate, msg etc don'thave any effect one way or another.

16. Nightman

Nightman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you please explain to me why gluten is a problem?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Inflammation

18. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Because Gluten is well-known as a neurotoxin, it causes inflammation and allergy which can lead to Autoimmune diseases, for example: MENIERE'S DISEASE which is basically the inflammation of the inner cells. You see, no disease is caused by "Bad luck" unless you born with it or you had a gene mutation (very rare). Autoimmune diseases are caused by a silent stressor (which is not psychological stress). The stressor can be some kind of food allergy or intolerance, dysbiosis of the gut microbiota or modern world stuff like ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION. Don't forget the leaky gut, which is the result of many years of inflammation in the intestine.

19. Codaz

Codaz Member

Where is your source for this stuff?

• Like Like x 1
    20. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      what do you mean?

21. Codaz

Codaz Member

You mention a lot of stuff but nothing is fed by any scientific proof. I doubt people with auto immune diseases will like what you say.

22. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Well, everything of what I wrote is from scientific proof, as I dedicate part of my life investigating this issues from the approach of functional medicine. Have you ever heard about it? Gluten triggers a door for Zonulin, a protein linked to autoimmune disease. We know that our gut is also our 70-90% of our immune system. When there's inflammation there, our whole body suffers and trigger the alarms. Spondylitis Anchyliosant for example, is strongly linked to this. If you read more about functional medicine you will see what I'm talking about. Cheers.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384703/

23. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I have more "scientific sources" if you wonder. The problem with some people with T is that they stay negative all the time. Have u ever heard or read about psychoneuroimmunology? The mind is very important and if you still negative, then you will still sicks. Cheers

24. Codaz

Codaz Member

This is something new for me, so I stand corrected. From what I've read on Wiki (yes this is not scientific but best I could do late at night) in a meta study which covered 85 others there has seen no significant proof yet for psycho neuroimmunology. Other critics report that negatively impacting results are left out of most studies (possibly biased). Thing is, if we cannot be sure that it is not true, it might be possible. The mind is still a big black box.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yes, it is obvious that what we only know as Newton said is a drop, what we don't know is a ocean. But I can say that we can't believe all of what science say (and it's not my advice, Marcia Angell who was the editor of The New England Jornal of Medicine said it) Other of my favorite phrases regarding to this is one of Carl Sagan "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

26. Nightman

Nightman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything you wrote is from scientific proof? I'm not sure how you think that works, but without actually providing said proof your word alone is meaningless.

Also, I'm not sure you understand the whitepaper you linked to. That paper investigates the relationship of Zonulin and people with celiac disease. A very small fraction of the population have celiac disease. This gluten fad doesn't apply to 99% of the population. The problem is that people in general eat too much wheat.

"It is recommended to avoid sugar (saccharose), sodium glutamate, GLUTEN, aspartame. Avoid Milk products. With the diet, you can detox your body and repair your gut microbiota."

I agree with most of what you say here, but milk products? Again, you make a statement without backing it up in the slightest. And no, you will not repair your gut flora by simply avoiding stuff. A person needs to actively eat healthy foods and, more importantly, ones that are fermented to actively repopulate the gut flora.

"The stressor can be some kind of food allergy or intolerance, dysbiosis of the gut microbiota or modern world stuff like ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION. Don't forget the leaky gut, which is the result of many years of inflammation in the intestine."

You seem to contradict yourself a lot. (I'm not even going to touch the electromagnetic radiation bit). Food allergies and intolerances are linked to issues with the gut flora. Leaky gut, or intestinal permeability, is demonstrated to be affected by gut bacteria.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Monosodium glucomate has effect on tinnitus 2 days therefore i consider him the worst
      Too much salt raise blood pressure and can couse some people to have problems

Coffe, Tinnin, energy drings, as soda drinks all raise tinnitus but for several hours
      Sugar raise insulin and insulin rase tinnitus
      Overly fat foods rase also insulin but on longer time therefore it rases tinnitus

You have to take care not to it in the night, i know many go to sleep very late who have very bad tinnitus, those 3% of us who are suffering extremly, so you dont wake up to go to pee, and you dont have insulin working and your hearth beat as crazy...

Chocolate increses tinnitus again on several hours but i found out for me it is ok, i am not having responce on it
      Fake sugars do also (aspartam) but I noticed for me it is not severe.

I use one product calle Sonosan, it is mix of some vitamins enzimes and so on (Austrian product for tinnitus and hearing problems), and it helps me, and Trazadone slow release 1/3 of pill of 150 mg, also for sleep... those help me

28. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      The paper itself is the relationship on zonulin and celiac disease, it's okay Celiac disease is a "rare disease" but, if you know how the medicine works you can also see that about 90% PERCENT of the population with celiac disease remain undiagnosed, because Its symptoms can vary a lot. so, from 300 symptoms you can only have 1, as an example.
      I recommend you to read the other disease, which is the Non-celiac gluten sensivity, which is 6-10 times more common than celiac.
      I once heard a doctor (Pediatrician-Gastroenterologist) saying that we ALL have some kind of gluten allergy (I'm not sayin that it's true, it can be also) because as a simple logic, if we have 24 hours of history, just 15 seconds is the time that we've been eating cereals and wheat.
      By the way, yes, if you avoid some kind of food, you STOP inflammation, which is the first STEP for Gut microbiota healing, then with the help of a FUNCTIONAL Medicine doctor, you can add some fermented food (obviously if you don't have some kind of bacteria overgrowth "other type of dysbiosis". Cheers

29. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Milk products, some people have allergy to those, spondylitis ankylosing is highly linked. I've seen many people cured of the disease just avoiding milk products.

30. Nightman

Nightman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you've ever met or known someone with true celiac disease then you'd understand how stupid this statement it.

Anyways, I'm done talking to you.