Difficulty Committing Suicide

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Atlantis, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Can someone explain to me why the human brain wants to protect itself so much? When standing on the roof of a tall building, it is incredibly difficult to take that final leap.

What's the psychological reason for this? @linearb?? You are expect in psych.

2. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Don't do it. Seriously. Even your own unconscious does not want you too.

3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      It isn't psychological. It's an ingrained survival instinct to protect the species. A lot of suicides are driven by anger at another turned inward, not by a desire to die. Anger can override the survival instinct.

There's a book you should read, Suicide and Attempted Suicide, by Geo Stone. It will cover the topic in great detail. Short link: http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Attempted-Geo-Stone/dp/0786709405/ You can read the beginning of the book on Amazon, but you'll need to check it out at your local library because it's very expensive.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Atlantis I appreciate the compliment but I'm barely a master of my own psychology ;)

I think @Cheza nailed it.

5. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Being acrophobic, I can't get anywhere near the edge of a tall building. Even in the darkest days of my depression, I couldn't have done it, the irrational fear of heights would have held me back.

I once did a parachute jump, but have no recollection whatever of climbing out onto the little bar of the wing of the plane and throwing myself backwards....such is the strangeness of the brain. Everyone was hugely impressed with how quickly, smoothly and fearlessly I did it, but it actually was my alter-ego and I cannot take any of the credit.

Seems a good place here to say a pet hate of mine is when individuals say they have 'vertigo' when they mean acrophobia. As someone who has vertigo from time to time, all I can say is they are entirely different, but I'm not sure which is worse!

Fungus.

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Regarding the OPs' question: what @Cheza said. Like it or not, we are hard wired to survive. As are many organisms.

7. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      It's not actually dying that's the worst part,it's knowing you're going to.
      When the brain is in such a distress functionality-wise it can give you this feeling of dying.

I have to agree that anger overwrites certain feelings in your brain that makes those feelings to be non existent.
      Hence why you have suicide bombers and people committing suicide out of anger and think it's them not being afraid of death.It's quite the contrary when the brain is in distress beyond your control and you actually experiencing the feeling of dying.It's not a choice,and you really feel like something greater than you is controlling you.

That's irony working in mysterious ways.

8. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      When fear, anxiety and hopelessness, overrides our survival instincts, we are indeed in grave danger, of hurting ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

A little fact...Those suicide bombers and fighters are also hyped up or drugged out of their minds. It is a known fact ISIS and other Militant Groups drug their "soldiers" Lots and lots of drugs.

10. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Well in either case it shuts down a certain feeling.Still doesn't change the latter of my reply.

11. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

They don't just suicide bomb out of anger. It is alot more complex than that is all I am saying. Of course something has to override the basic instinct to survive. Also, common antidepressants can cause this to happen to.

12. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Are you standing at the edge of a tall building? I think you know the answer really..

13. Joan A.
      No Mood

Joan A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/ spike 2006/ massive 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      "Everybody Wants to go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die" Albert King

Albert King -- Everybody Wants to go to...

• Like Like x 2