Disappointed After a Neurological Visit

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paromita, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hello,

My T had started one and half months back, I had seriously abscessed tooth on my left jaw, which has been pulled out now.

But I have been having other wierd nerve symptoms like pins ans needles, itching, jaw inflammation etc.
      burning tongue , excessive drooling on the left side.

I visited a nuerologist who told me I have no serious neurological problem and that he wants to do a contrast MRI (I already have a MRI done which was without contrast)....

I asked him if he can offer me some medicine for the burning on my tongue, but he refused saying he cant prescribe without the MRI.

I am at my wits end and dont know what to do and where to go. I feel my T is related to this whole Jaw thing.

Any suggestions for any other doctors I can goto ?

seen two nuerologist so far without any results.

:(

2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      If it is your jaw, you need to see a maxillofacial surgeon.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Contrast MRI is good. He's probably wanting to look for abscess/infection aka space-occupying lesion pressing on nerve pathways. Nerve damage from major dental work is very real, hard to completely avoid and can take a long time to settle.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      @Paul - I am scared of MRI , very claustrophobic and dont like the injection they will give me to produce that constrast. I have not heard very good things about that chemical. Is there any other way he can look at the same things ? Can a detailed jaw xray not show him the same ?

Thanks, Mita

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      X-rays alone don't offer the contrast needed between the different tissues for something that specific and located where he seems to want to look. A CT is an alternative but you'd still possibly need contrast solution injected to get that differentiation, and the radiation load is big. All up MRI is the safest alternative and is far and away the best for close-up soft tissue examination. CT is better for bone issues and chests.