Discovery of New Neurons in the Ear Could Lead to Treatments for Tinnitus — BIOLOGY Michael Irving

Discussion in 'Research News' started by ofaisalo, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's estimated that there are 100 billion neurons in the human body, so it's no surprise that some of them have evaded detection by scientists. Now, a team of Swedish researchers have discovered three new types of neurons, which help carry auditory signals from the ear to the brain and may hold the secrets to treating hearing disorders like tinnitus.

Read the full article:

https://newatlas.com/new-neurons-auditory-system/56313/

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      "The next step is to show what effect these individual nerve cells have on the auditory system, which can lead to the development of better auditory aids such as cochlear implants."

In my humble opinion, with such a discovery, it would more useful to work on gene or chemical therapies than to work on better auditory aids.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury

upload_2018-9-13_7-52-46.png

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I had posted a few articles about neuron brain activity, but I don't understand it. I know a guy who was a hospital lab scientist. He worked in a blood lab analyzing blood and cells, but not for pathway disease, because he's wasn't a hematologist. He also has a BS degree in electrical computer science and now works as an electrician. He has tinnitus.

I also know nothing about electrical stuff, but his theory on the neuron pathways is interesting. Some who homes experience a power shortage or receive lightening will then have problems running their computers. The problem according to him is that it could do with wall wiring or ethernet connection signaling and not the computer. I had this problem as my computer ran slowly and did not perform well. I sometimes trade bio tech and healthcare stocks for other people. When I was having an ethernet connection problem I could place the number of shares and price into the execute box, but not buy or sell. This is because as soon as you place price and share information it's transferred to the exchange even before you hit accept.

I think that I have a partial understanding as to why my tinnitus goes up and down from research. I use occipital nerves exercises that partly uses another pathway other than the DCN so it's about my neck. The jaw and neck can at least partly use other pathways. This can involve many nerves including occipital, numbered cranial, facial nerves and muscle and joint nerves. Sometimes infection will play into this. Toxins and bacteria will mess more with the DCN. Many of us also have other pathway involvement and somehow that relates to neuron activity. There's an amazing neuro research company that has success with some of this, but when they increase the dose of a compound drug the patient passes out.

I think that all of will take time, but neuro electrical scientists are making headway.

5. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Well, try to understand, they have contracts, business, money at stake is considerable from the manufacturers of hearing aids and implants.

Money is real, tangible, in the near future.

From the point of view of the capitalist - why should they invest in an unknown research, which is unclear whether it will bring any additional significant profit.

This is the savage grin of capitalism.

I am sure that for a long time now it has been possible to initiate the regeneration of hair cells.

Scientists have been playing with mice for 10 years, stunning them and restoring their cells, getting millions for all of it from investors.

For me it is shocking and absurd - in the 21st century, with modern means of neuroimaging, computers, powerful microscopes, it is impossible to understand in 20 years what the essence of tinnitus is and where it comes from.

Is this not absurd ?!

All other diseases have already been studied, epilepsy has been studied. And tinnitus? They just don't want to...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Karolinska Institutet is a Hospital/University/Research Center located in Stockholm, Sweden. It is funded by the government with tax money, no private interests what so ever.

Also after the election here in Sweden this weekend it's a real possibility that the next minister of finance in Sweden will be a communist who want's to abolish capitalism and private ownership altogether. Off to Gulag 13 for me I guess...

• Like Like x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Dude, Gulag 13 is not that bad.

9. Marcus Hellman

Marcus Hellman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since a kid
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Various causes
      ”Discovery of new neurons in the inner ear can lead to new therapies for hearing disorders.

Researchers at Karolinska Institutet have identified four types of neurons in the peripheral auditory system, three of which are new to science. The analysis of these cells can lead to new therapies for various kinds of hearing disorders, such as tinnitus and age-related hearing loss. The study is published in Nature Communications.”

https://ki.se/en/news/discovery-of-...n-lead-to-new-therapies-for-hearing-disorders

10. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I hope they do not throw this finding in the backyard of history, as has already happened with many discoveries in the field of tinnitus.

This can be a really important step on the way to understanding the neural mechanisms of tinnitus, and hence finding a treatment.

It is necessary to write to these children from Sweden to share this information with Dr. Tzounopoulous.
      This may be important for his research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Why does this seem familiar to me?... didn't Decibel report about the same thing just a few weeks ago?

Karolinska:
      "Researchers at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden have identified four types of neurons in the peripheral auditory system, three of which are new to science. The analysis of these cells can lead to new therapies for various kinds of hearing disorders, such as tinnitus and age-related hearing loss."

"The team conducted their study on mice using the relatively new technique of single-cell RNA sequencing."

Sources:
      https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018...=tabs&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=story-tabs

https://ki.se/en/news/discovery-of-...n-lead-to-new-therapies-for-hearing-disorders

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-06033-3

Decibel:

"Researchers identify molecularly distinct subtypes of neurons that encode sound"

"Decibel researchers together with Drs. Mueller and Bergles utilized massively parallel single-cell RNA-sequencing to profile the transcriptomes of thousands of individual cochlear neurons."

"Single-cell RNA sequencing identifies subtypes of auditory sensory neurons"

Sources:
      https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180802005063/en/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180802141622.htm

https://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(18)30901-2

https://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(18)30902-4

Who was first doesn't matter. As long as they all come to the same conclusion and are able to reproduce the results of the other team. That's progress.