Dizziness and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by daman558, Jul 28, 2013.

1. daman558
      Haunting

daman558 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      anybody else have pretty much constant dizzy/lightheadedness with their T? Hoping that this might sort itself out but if it doesn't what would be a good treatment for it? Thanks for any responses in advance :).

2. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      Hey @daman558

Yes bud I also experience the dizziness sensation, however I have anxiety and don't know if this is related to my anxiety or T as it is hard to distinguish sometimes,

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @daman558,

I had dizziness/lightheadedness when my severe tinnitus first started, back in 2010. Now, three years later, it is virtually gone. It seems like it has to do with the inner ear, but it could also have to do with anxiety, as Jade suggests.

Back in 2010 and 2011, I tried a lot of different remedies and saw several doctors and alternative practitioners. My chiropractor helped me (he is a chiropractic neurologist) by working with me, and having me do eye and hand exercises to achieve balance -- i.e., get both sides of the brain working properly. Also, he had me do the valsalva maneuver, which helps to reset the crystals inside the inner ear. That may, or may not, work for you ---- or it could settle down all by itself with the passage of time.

4. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      @ daman558

I also
      Have this although mine haz gone down quite a bit. I'd like to know if you get spells where t increases along with severe vertigo or just kinda happens continuous or with head movement in certain positions.....further do u have like jerky vision...get an audiogram done too....and hang in there.....I would suggest u go to a doc now.....in the mean time cut down your salt intake...take plenty of vitamins....rest I'd get to d doc.

If your suggests you have nuritis ( pls let d doc make d judgement) Thebes go for steroids ......that's about all I can help with.

To compare your symptoms go to
      Http://vestibular.org.......

5. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Do you think tinnitus can cause dizziness by the noise itself? I've had T for 5 months now and get dizzy spells often since onset of T. I do have a slight high frequency hearing loss in both ears as well. I'm not sure if T can cause dizziness or if it's just my anxiety talking via dizziness. Thanks for any responses!

6. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Could it be that what is causing the tinnitus is also causing the dizziness?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lynnette,

Yes, I do think it is possible that the tinnitus can cause dizziness. I know that, when mine first started, I felt out of balance most of the time. I even had a few episodes of vertigo. Now, after 3 1/2 years, that situation has abated, and I haven't had any dizziness for quite some time now.

In the case of Meniere's Disease, vertigo is a major side effect of the disease. You could Google Meniere's Disease, and read about the symptoms, to see if there is any chance they match yours. If not, it could just be that having tinnitus has caused an imbalance that will be righted with time.

8. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the link to Meniere's information, Carlo.

Lynnette, you might want to read over this information, and see if the symptoms are similar to yours.

10. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I think what Misery said makes sense.

I had vertigo several times before my T took up permanent residence. It was thought that I had meniere' s, but was quickly shot down by another ENT's (second) opinion. It came from a hormonal imbalance at the time. Your dizziness could have something to do with your T in some way though I believe. It's all connected right?

11. Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I don't think it's menieres since my dizziness lasts for a a week or two and then goes away only to come back a few weeks later. Menieres sounds episodic to me. I imagine if the t was caused by labyrnthitis then I'd have inflamed inner ears and I don't...and this has been going on for months now. I have intermittent ear pain as well, it's strange since sometime it's my outer ears and i can't sleep on them and sometimes it's the inner ears. I attribute the t to anxiety or antibiotic use at this point...I don't have any other answers for the dizziness though, maybe it's just anxiety :( I also had an mri iac and all is clear. I can only hope the dizziness abates in time as well. Thanks for all your replies!

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad to hear you had an MRI, and that all is clear. So, maybe your dizziness will be like mine, and will eventually go away. It took awhile, but now (3 1/2 years later), I don't have any more dizziness or vertigo episodes.

I hope the same for you!!

13. Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I can only hope! It's one of those things you don't think about if you don't have it...but when you is have it, it consumes every thought and part or your day (much like T...but I think I'd rather get rid if the T if I had to pick!).

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999

Epley maneuver is certainly worth considering.

15. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

I've been crying for almost 4 hrs now because of my fear.
      I've been having dizziness/imbalance feeling 24/7 for several days now.
      Actually I'm not sure I can tell exactly if it's pressure OR dizziness or maybe a combination of both. I hope that makes some sense.

I have posted earlier that I have ringing in both ears and a few weeks ago I had sharp pain in my left ear which showed nothing abnormal.
      I'm alone in my house now, no friends to help take my mind off this.
      I just needed to vent. And yes, I do suffer from anxiety- GAD and mild depression.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Ajg I have that feeling pretty much all the time as well, between the T and the dizziness it is really disabling. I really wonder if the two are related as well for me. I have random pain in one ear as well...always checks out just fine. It's a mystery.

17. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I also have dizziness. I am pretty sure it is associated with the T. By the sounds of it, from peoples posts, it fades with time. I first thought it was because of supplements I am taking. I stopped them but the V was still there. I went to a GP and got some Serc on the recommendation of my audiologist. Schedule 3 or 4 I think. Can't get it OTC. One in the morning. One at night. It helps to a degree. I still have dizziness but not as bad. I am planning to see an ENT next week and perhaps a brain scan. I have T in both ears. I had it 14 years ago. It naturally habituated. But it came back last year Oct from noise exposure. My life is on hold until i can get a handle on V and T. I remember last time, I had vertigo and it went away. However, this time, it feels more pronounced.

18. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I have dizziness with my H. I start vestibular therapy tomorrow and go for an MRI next week thursday.

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good luck, Sue! I hope the vestibular therapy works for you, and/or that you can find a cause. I think it just seems to come with the territory, and will abate on its own after awhile. Please do let us know how the vestibular therapy work for you.

20. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      will do! I'm confident this whole thing will resolve itself eventually. I will probably need to be cautious going forward, with noises and whatnot, but I'm making tremendous progress so far in my H and T.

Sue - the eternal optimist! :)

• Like Like x 1