Dizzy and light headed

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by alifalijohn, May 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Doctor, Earlier this year , I started getting lightheaded and dizzy, my doctor said my thyroid which is low went high and this the cause for the dizziness, they changed my thyroid pills a few times from low to high and then I started getting a ringing in my ears about 3 weeks ago..could my thyroid started it ?. right now I am on 100mcg and my ears ringing also , I am dizzy and wobbly..thanks for your reply

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Sorry, there are too many unknowns for me to responsibly tell you what is or is not causing what. Your doctor should be monitoring your thyroid function closely while your medication is being adjusted. Once your thyroid function has stabilized, your doctor will be in a better position to address the issues you describe.

For what it's worth, one can indeed find an occasional reference in the literature suggesting that tinnitus might be "associated" with abnormal thyroid levels (either high or low) in rare cases. But I have never heard of tinnitus resolving upon correcting thyroid levels. I suspect that the association is coincidental rather than causal.

Dr. Stephen Nagler