Do Computer Monitors Spike Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Aug 25, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      For some reason large monitors over 30" spike my tinnitus. No speakers, no sound. Just a monitor turned on watching a movie. Is this happening to anyone else? Trying to find a solution.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      It’s possible your monitor is creating an electrical “hum” or similar noise that you can’t hear. It’s either out of the frequency range you are able to hear or the volume of your tinnitus is overriding it so you don’t hear it. In either case, I’d probably relocate the cables attached to it to see if that stops the noise from accessories to the monitor and/or move yourself further away from it. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      OK, thanks Bobby.

4. fatima

fatima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st august 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis
      Mine is still new and not noise induced, but yet fans , white noise ( strange ) TV and computers make my tinnitus sound alot worse. It spikes up for a few minutes and goes back down to its original annoying note once i move away from whatever spiked it. Its strange.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Pax

Pax Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      I’m trying to understand a similar problem. When I work from home some days, not all, the high frequencies of my tinnitus goes into overdrive. Sometimes it starts during the early afternoon after more than four hours in front of the screen and some times it starts after I finish for the day. It usually stays increased until some time the next day.

I have almost an identical screen at the office (Apple Cinema 27”, LED vs Thunderbolt) and have never had a similar issue when working with it.

I’m still trying to find alternative sources to the spikes, maybe I’m just assuming it’s the display when it’s something completely different?

Anyone experienced anything similar?

P.S. thank you @BobbyH for the tip on adjusting cables. I will try that next time!

6. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Wow, yeah, never thought about hums that you are unable to hear being a problem, but it certainly makes sense.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd suspect neck tension first, a high pitched sound from the monitor second (check with a high quality mic recording and spect analysis, since you may well not actually be able to hear it), and as a distant fucking third idea I would think about "how do EMFs interact with the human nervous system", but I think that last idea is one hell of a stretch based on the available science.

I sit in front of a combination of two 24" 2k monitors @ 120hz, and one 27" at 144hz, for ~4-12 hours a day. The times I notice spikes tend to relate to posture and jaw/neck tension and lactic acid buildup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Like Chuck Mg Gill on Better Call Saul :D:D

In all seriousness I have 3 monitors and feel it acts up more in my office @ times... Who knows...