Do I Have ETD or Only Tinnitus and Intermittent Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Philippa Graham, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Philippa Graham

Philippa Graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tonsil
      A doctor has diagnosed me with ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) and I’ve been told to wait it out but it’s driving me mad.

I was wondering if you all thought it sounds like ETD or if it is just tinnitus. I have had low level tinnitus in my left ear for a year but it doesn’t bother me.

My right ear is ringing and I have intermittent hyperacusis. Not pain to the actual sound but like it’s distorted and high pitches. This stayed for two days, went away for two days and is now back.

I can hear my own breath when breathing in on right side. I can hear crackly sound in ears, like fluid moving when I open and close my jaw.

Nothing seems to be helping and the doctors are just telling me to wait it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

2. hanks
      Cool

hanks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi, can you share how it evolved?

3. Dougie Kyle
      Bashful

Dougie Kyle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Hello,

I think I have something similar with the hyperacusis. It appears just sometimes during the day, not all the time. Sometimes even the quietest of sounds are audible and amplified.

I had some trauma (loud noise) a while ago and a ringing in one ear that only appears at certain pitches.

I was told the same thing by two doctors.