Do I Need to Visit a Doctor for a Possible Ruptured Eardrum After a Hard Slap on the Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matt3342, Feb 21, 2021.

?

Would you visit a doctor if you were in my shoes?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Matt3342

Matt3342 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditory trauma
      Hi everyone,

I suspect I have a ruptured eardrum after my brother slapped my left ear hard. I have the following symptoms after the incident:

- High pitched tinnitus
      - My left ear feels full
      - Some pain on my ear which I didn't have before

It's been about 7 days and I still have the same symptoms. I heard ruptured eardrums heal on its own after a few weeks so I'm not sure if it warrants a visit to a doctor.

I am asking because my city is on lockdown and I'm a student (21 years old) and it's quite a challenge to see a doctor nowadays. The nearest walk-in clinic is about 45 minutes away by bus. Thank you.

By the way I have had tinnitus on my right ear for about a year; never had it in my left ear before. After this incident my left ear has tinnitus too...

2. matthew_bk
      Crappy

matthew_bk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss - left ear only
      Go ASAP. Do you have insurance? Do you have an urgent care? If you're in a college, is there a campus health center?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt3342

Matt3342 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditory trauma
      Alright. I will probably go visit a doctor first thing tomorrow.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt3342

Matt3342 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditory trauma
      I feel like an idiot waiting 7 days to see a doctor. But to be fair COVID-19 has made it really hard for me to see a doctor.

5. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Go get your hearing tested bro. ASAP! If you have hearing loss, ask to get prescribed Prednisone. The effective window for Prednisone to work lessens every day that goes by. I have heard many stories of Prednisone helping reduce hearing damage and tinnitus.

I wish I had known. I shot guns without earplugs and ruined my life. I was only 18. I’m 22 now, and for a while I got my life back which felt amazing. But now I’m struggling again. I don’t want to scare you man but don’t be stupid like me and hope it will go away. Go see an ENT right away.

6. matthew_bk
      Crappy

matthew_bk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss - left ear only
      I did the same exact thing earlier this month. I wish I had even done virtual health online so I could be directed to next steps - like seeing an ENT faster. If that is an option go for it.