Do Ultrasonic Products (Cleaners, Humidifiers, Nebulizers, ...) Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Straw, Jan 7, 2023.

?

How have ultrasonic products affected your tinnitus? (Specify in comments which product etc.)

1. Permanently worsened my tinnitus

2. Temporarily worsened my tinnitus

3. No effect on my tinnitus

4. I haven't tried ultrasonic products

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well.

I wanted to get everyone’s opinion and experience on Ultrasonic products such as cleaners, humidifiers, nebulizers, etc. Did you notice any effect on your tinnitus?

I may have to get an ultrasound soon on my neck, and it got me thinking about ultrasound and ultrasonic products in general. I then started finding articles like this:

Invisible ultrasound can be a cause of tinnitus

I thought it was interesting and wanted to see if anyone knew more about this topic.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shameful bump.

No one has experience with ultrasound products?!

3. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for letting me know. I would be curious as to how much dB these things actually produce. I assume if it is low, then it doesn't matter how low or high pitched the sound is.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Another question is whether the frequencies these devices emit at are in the range that human ears can detect. Ultrasonic is supposed to be above 20 kHz?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right. I think this is outside the range of human detection, but based on the articles it seems it could still potentially damage it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For anyone who said an ultrasonic product permanently worsened tinnitus, can you tell us what product you used?

8. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Older thread... but new victim.

On holidays/work trip overseas, at the check-in desk they had a ultrasonic humidifier or something similar about 8 feet away from me. When I was directly beside it, I got blasted with high frequency static in my right ear, overall the sound in the lobby was not loud, but I am guessing the noise was somewhere around 12 kHz - 15 kHz, it was like standing beside a loud tweeter. I read if these are not maintained, mineral buildup can cause audible noise.

Best way I can describe it is a loud stereo system blaring white noise, but only the tweeters remained hooked up... I literally sat there frozen and took the piercing noise, until after about 5 minutes I asked they unplug it. Ever since my right ear has been jacked up bad... I travel with a bottle of steroids, but thought I would give it a few days first. I took some today (72 hours later) but afraid it might be too late to have any diminishing effect on the damage.

So, yes... these ultrasonic devices are dangerous, whether you can hear them or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Carrying steroids with you (I presume Prednisone) is a good idea. Mind if I ask where you got them from?

10. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Prescribed by my physician. Never know when or where some potential disaster is going to hit.

• Like Like x 1
    11. RocketJSquirrel

RocketJSquirrel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      I responded "temporarily worsened." But I don't think I have any ultrasonic household products.

What I do react to is the so-called "ultrasonic" dental scalers that hygenists use. They're clearly not ultrasonic because patients can hear them -- directly through bone conduction, which is awful. I can tolerate them OK but every once in a while, they cause a temporary spike.

I now see "similar threads" below and will take a look at some of them.