Do You Avoid Sound Exposure During Tinnitus Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zugzug, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I realize this is subjective, but I am interested in different opinions. Right now, my tinnitus and hyperacusis are very, very bad. Like literally every single noise triggers both of them. I have been using lots of protection for the time being.

I have also read that sound exposure is important. Say you expose yourself and your tinnitus really amps up. Is that always the sign that it's too much sound exposure? Do you ever (successfully) push through severe tinnitus? Mild tinnitus? Without setbacks.

My vision of this whole thing is to expose to sounds only when I get minimal symptoms. Is that your experience?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The only people saying noise exposure is good are the TRT'ers and they are controversial.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The key is to protect as best as you can, but avoid overprotection.

If you are getting minimal symptoms, than the exposure was on the borderline of being too loud and should be avoided.

If the tinnitus amps up it is a sign of too much exposure, although other things like not sleeping, or stress also can increase it as well.

We all end up pushing through whatever version of tinnitus we have, and we all have setbacks as it is pretty much impossible to protect from every sound exposure 24/7.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      So I guess the idea is that in a given day, with precautions, I should expect a mix of healing and setbacks. If I did it right, the healing will outweigh the setbacks?

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Zugzug

Hopefully more healing than setbacks. You should not be having setbacks on a daily basis if you are doing this right. The point is you cannot protect 247 or else you will end up with hyperacusis and ear wax impaction so dont go there.

6. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      A note of positivity is...you can improve your noise sensitivity.
      You likely know that when the cochlea dies on some level...or internal nerve damage occurs, the brain doesn't like this lack of input it always received. So the brain turns up the gain...or can. This makes many sounds painful. Been there.
      I still am sensitive to sound...like a dish on a granite countertop....a woman with high piercing and loud voice...a fire truck racing by with siren blaring....or just a loud truck. I am a cyclist and near roads a lot outside.

The other day I went to an Dr. in Audiology in my town for a hearing evaluation. She measured my noise sensitivity.
      Average person has about a 100 db threshold to pain or so. Mine is 80 db. When she was cranking the sound up, I almost jumped out of the chair. I told her I had great sound sensitivity.

But other than that, I don't do a single special thing other than....I avoid very loud venues....I am careful with dishes in the kitchen. :)....basic stuff. Nothing special. As others have stated, too much sound protection likely makes matters worse. But no mistake for me, when I use a hammer, or a compressor to fill my car tires....or any power equipment etc, I have very high quality headphone like sound barriers on my head. I can't deal with loud noise...or rather choose not to.

I am better than I used to be and you will likely improve as well. Many do.