Do you believe in the brain memorization hypothesis? Is tinnitus stuck in our brain?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RedThinker, Feb 4, 2014.

1. RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      Hey everyone I hope you have been / or are enjoying your day, mine is about to run out.

I was thinking about some stuff and I was wondering if anyone could answer me this:

Do you think, if you have lived with T for a while that your brain has gotten so used to the sound, that even if there was no T, your brain would think that there was and the sounds would still be there?

I don't know if this is just a silly question, but I would like to hear your opinions :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      I am not sure but I don't think so. I have always thought that the brain will get used to the sound and thus it does not register even though it is still there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I have thought about something similar, actually :)
      Also, from a little different perspective, after that sound being there for two months it seems hard to me to remember how it felt without it.
      Sometimes I even think it might have been there all along, and I just never noticed it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      I agree. Perversely, I remember there were nights when I listened to the ringing and felt comforted by it because it has become a familiar sound. Some nights...

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. James7

James7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No. Do people who live next to the ocean still hear waves when they're away from it? As tinnitus sufferers we're constantly told about habituation and all that, but I don't think it's this powerful. Habituation is just a fancy way of saying "ignore it", I don't believe it's some kind of powerful force that can make the brain hallucinate things that aren't there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

There is a reason they call it auditory hallucination. ;)