Do You Have a Family Member or Relative Who's Also Got Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Do you have a family member or a relative who also has got tinnitus?

1. Yes, a close family member

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Yes, a relative

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. No, as far as I know

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
    1. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Mentioning it again ;)
      My 24 year old brother has loud tinnitus, since seconth grade atleast. He just left the house to go to my favourite club (buuhh). He says it's ridiculously loud when it's silent like others, he only hears it when really looking for it. Once in a while it may spikes out loud but he doesn't really care. I asked him what he would do if such spike would become permanent, and he said
      "Well, that would suck". Not life destroying really :)

2. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does your brother wear earplugs when at the clubs tenna? I am worried about every loud noise and my brother is going to parties, blasting out music, unbelievable really!

3. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      All you can do is tell them to protect their hearing. Whether they do so or not is up to them.

However, it's important to remember that having tinnitus does not equate to suffering from tinnitus.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of military members, veterans, cops, musicians, and who knows else has it.

My mother has it but it doesn't bother her.

4. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      No he doesnt Wear anything and he listens to music in variable levels most of time. Im contemplating going too, when getting a hold of molded earplugs. I can learn to habituate from this tinnitus, but man I miss dancing. Going is giving up hopes of it going away, but remaining outside Clubs and venues, you should prepare for it to stay anyway

5. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      I have had T for roughly 9 years now since I was 16-17. I have a brother and a sister both older than me and in there 30's, and they both do not have T.

A year before I was born my dad first got permanent T form working in the steel industry for many years. My brother and sister have had there fair share of clubbing and mp3 players but still dont have T.

Yes I have been clubbing and had a mp3 player years ago. But my question is, is because my dad had T just before my mother was pregnant with me, did that make me more susceptible to getting T? And is there any evidence that T can come from your family's genes?

6. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      For me, my dad does as well, also noise induced from his years at working for the dnr and not wearing ear plugs.

How about you?

Or do you have a significant other with tinnitus as well?

I found the original acceptance period easier knowing someone close to me has it as well.

7. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Here is a list of people I know or met that have it, or have heard of that have it.

My ex-girlfriend's father has it on one ear. She says he lost partial hearing and doesn't like multiple sounds at the same time. He does enjoy earphones as he can control what sounds he hears.

2. Another ex-girlfriends' mother just developed it on both ears. She had it for about one month when a fire alarm in her house caused it to increase in volume. The doctor changed her blood pressure medication to see if it gets any better, so far it hasn't.

3. A Facebook friend of mine, whom we met online because we are both from the same home town in Mexico, I just recently learned she had it, and she's had it for 6 years. Her audiology report looks like a crescent moon she says. She developed SSNHL 6 years ago and just last year she had a Meniere's disease episode, so doctor's now say she has Meniere's.

4. My father has it on both ears, he's had it for like 6 years but his is very mild, he's not bothered by it. His might be due to all the meds he's been taking for blood pressure, cholesterol and pain.

5. My oldest sister might have a very mild case of it. She's not bothered by it during the day, only at night when it's quiet, she says she hears like a distant dance hall echo. She sleeps with the TV on.

6. My youngest sister, in Mexico during a dance, a speaker blew next to her ear 10 years ago. She says she gets loud tinnitus at least once a month for about an hour and then it goes away.

7. My best friend's wife's grandpa had it for 3 years before he died. He died of cancer but they think all the antibiotics he took caused it. He would play classical music all day at home.

8. A school friend of mine has a severe case of TMJ. She gets Tinnitus a few times a month but for only a few minutes. Last month though, she had it for a full day.

9. The first ENT I saw, he says he has it and developed it by working at his fathers ranch as a young boy. He says it doesn't bother him because he knows its nothing bad, just something that can be very annoying and he says he knows there's nothing he can do about it.

10. The third ENT I saw, he says he has it too. He says he now treats it as background elevator music and only notices it when someone mentions it.

11. The Stanford tinnitus "expert" I talked to, he says he's had it for 20 years and sleeps with a fan on every night.

12. I work at a college as a financial aid manager and I was talking to a graduate regarding her loan payments. She developed some form of drug resistant tuberculosis and breast cancer, a few months apart. Last time we spoke on the phone, she said she couldn't hear me because due to all the antibiotics she took, she developed tinnitus. She had a hearing aid which she put on and was able to hear me better.

13. My girlfriend is an elementary school counselor. She says she has a student, around 8 years old who has hearing loss with Tinnitus. They're working on getting her a hearing aid.

14. The brother of a teacher at the college I work at, he has Tinnitus too. He thinks his came about from a prank in college. He used to work at the college's radio station and one day his friends called him on those old rotary phones and played a loud screeching sound that hurt his ear. His Tinnitus developed years later but he thinks that's what triggered it all. He became a physician's assistant and having babies crying 2 feet from his ear caused him to go deaf. He now wears hearing aids that eliminate his Tinnitus during the day but he takes them off to sleep. He says he hears like a pipe leaking all night. Not sure if he masks it.

15. I saw a therapist a couple of times. She says she has a patient who has tinnitus due to a car accident. The accident also caused him to lose vision in one eye and will shorty lose vision on his second eye.

16. My dad was telling me one of his friends has it too, he notices it more in his bedroom than in any other place.

17. I got a sleep study done late last year. The sleep tech said in his 10 years of doing his job, he's encountered a couple of people with Tinnitus.

18. I love boxing and I frequent boxing forums often. I learned that one poster fell asleep with his headphones at full blast and woke up with Tinnitus.

19. Another poster said he has TMJ and has tinnitus because of it. He sleeps with radio static.

20. Another poster didn't say how he got it but he wears hearing aids that also have a swooshing sound that helps with his tinnitus.

21. Another poster said he used to have it, he never knew how he got it but it eventually went away on its' own.

I believe that's all I remember.