Do You Think Tinnitus Will Be Curable In Our Lifetime?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hoper, Oct 2, 2014.

?

Do You Think Tinnitus Will Be Curable In Our Lifetime?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      i think the research is full steam ahead. And yes, i think it will be curable in the next 5-10 years.
      your thoughts?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Curable in ourlife time-maybe
      Treatable, yes

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      i hope everyday they devise a cure (y)

4. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      No.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. SweetPeach

SweetPeach Guest

there are hundreds of diseases without known cure

tinnitus will not be cured in our life

there will be treatments that decrease the noise that i'm sure of

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      It might depend on the cause. But honestly, I think 5 to 10 years is unrealistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

BS, you can't know that. Our technology just gets more and more complex. For all we know we could link tinnitus to a nerve stimulus or repair cells with stem-cells in the next 5-10 years. People thought such a thing as an ipad was impossible. Is there one thing I know, it's that I can't even guess what will happen in the next 50 years.

So yea, both treatments and cures could be found in our lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Hmm i would not see things negatively. .
      Yes its very possible for a cure in near future. .just how long is the question.
      They freaking change a persons heart.. its very well possible. .
      Edit: typo i missed word "not" i dont see things negatively. .

• Like Like x 1
    9. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Also, keep in mind that just because a doctor might know the cause of your tinnitus, that doesn't mean he can do anything about it. We don't live in a sci-fi world where we have unlimited amount of knowledge and technology and it's just about knowing the cause.

10. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
    11. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If not a cure, Then I'm hoping for treatments that will significantly mitigate the symptoms/severity of both T & H. Even more so for younger people than myself. That's because the pressure is off now for me. By that I mean I'm retired and my children are grown and self-sufficient. So, I'm hoping more now for younger people that have most of their life yet ahead of them. Especially those that are raising children and those that may be in the future. That's because I remember what a very long and difficult road it was for me during those years. Raising three children, trying to be a good husband, father and working a job with all of it's sustained pressures and responsibilities.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ive said it before but most diseases are "treatable" and what that means is you can live with it such as cancer or diabetes or arthritus.. As of now there is NOTHING to do about tinnitus, not a drug, nothing that can decrease the noise that is "proven". Obviously there is things out there that are placebo or natural fading of T, but nothing to go to the doc and they give you a pill to decrease the noise or get rid of it completely. --- almost everything else has a pill for.. High blood pressure you can take meds.. Insulin to keep your sugar right for diabetes.. Some pain meds to decrease pain for arthritus. But NOTHING for a noise in our head... And btw when i say nothing im leaving TRT, and cbt or counseling out of this because that is only emotional and wellbeing treatment for T, it does nothing to decrease the noise just how you view it or perception. But NOW there starting drugs such as autifony to target the noise and i say in 5-10 years we will deff have something to rid us of it.. But that may mean taking a pill everyday which to me is treating ( not curing) like other conditions. But as long as the noise is low or gone that should all that matters.. A biologic cure could take decades for stemcells and all of that. As soon as a proven pill takes away the noise then they will dig deeper and learn why until they can maybe surgically fix something permantly so Ts "cured" how i see it anyway

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      basically i am not a real optimistic man. but in the tinnitus topic i can feel it in my soul there will be a therapy to help people with tinnitus in 5-10 years. (y)

• Like Like x 2
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Theres already therapy for it. 5-10 years a proven medication in pill form will be out.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      i hope for that pill. thats why my name is hoper :)
      do you know the name of the company that produce it?

16. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      For me the only real cure is to find the root cause of the problem, not the symptom.
      I hate when doctors prescribe medicine to heal the symptoms but not the causes.
      So if the pill will just interfere with the ringing by stopping it from being perceivable would this be actually a cure?
      What if in the long run this would affect plasticity of the brain and screw s even more?
      We must first understand why the T exist to be able to cure it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

I would be happy if the pill would just make it go silent for 2 hours a day, then I could soldier on the rest : P

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    18. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Not if the big hearing aid manufactures have their way. These corporations are playing an active role in inhibiting the progress and advances in the field e.g. hair cell regeneration in the cochlear In an effort to maintain profits.

Check out where university funding into hearing loss-related research comes from and you will see that much of it comes from the noise amplification companies - it would be a brave research department head that embarked upon research or published results which displeased the people paying his salary. I have read that the US government has handed out a big cheque to another hearing aid company (Neuromonics) to 'cure' the hearing-damaged veterans coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan by giving them glorified MP3 players and cost several thousand dollars each.

19. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So are you saying that the future of stem cells for cochlear regeneration in regards to curing hearing loss caused by auditory damage which causes intrusive tinnitus will never happen?

20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      If everyone has tinnitus, then obviously theres a way for it to get louder in our case, and lower again to the "natural T" everyone has. A cure would be to bring the noise down to what it was before as you say so bring it down to nothing = bam theres your cure. Definally gonna happen. Its a switch, it can flick on and flick off.

• Like Like x 1
    21. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
    22. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      OK.

I don't see it that way, but I'd greatly prefer it if you were right.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

23. Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

What I understands from what he says is that everyone have a "natural" tinnitus. Like when you turn a speaker up too high without sound. It buzz.

Therefore he thinks personally that this is the way hearing work so you can't just remove this "treat".

But in my humble opinion it is hard to tell if we can mendle with this, even for a doctor because we know so little about the brain and research proves us wrong from time to time.

But it still leaves room for treatment or drugs even if we don't find a direct way of curing this "treat" for good, maybe we can find a way to make it less sensitive.

One thing that baffles me is this. - If I listen to my guitar at a higher note, or my keys dangling in front of my ears, the tinnitus goes totally away for 5- 10 seconds and I can hear total silence. It's weird. If we somehow can mimmick this with a way of not making a sound that we actually hear this could be a form of "cure" or treatment? Maybe this is what the implants do?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
    25. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I believe that stem cell research holds great promise for the clinically hearing-impaired. But I do not think that the best stem cells in the world will result in a set of pristine hair cells. And as long as there are hair cell irregularities, there will be tinnitus.

Look, my position on this subject is an unpopular one. But either way, it does not affect the reality in the slightest.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

26. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      What my argument goes back to is how is the scientific community certain T is tied to damaged hair cells? In most cases it's likely however in some it is not.

Although 90% of chronic T is measured by hearing loss greater than- 20DB on a regular audiogram (up to 8k htz) there is still a small percentage with perfectly normal hearing and essentially present DPOAE who suffer.

27. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      I seems to be medicine is on the right track with Retigabine and the Autifony trials happening right now. We've seen MPT's tinnitus go after 5 months of intense T. I can't see why not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is said before The science is definitely here.......but however any technique which could actually regenerate cochlear hair cells would seriously impact the sales of hearing aids/cochlear implants - maybe even rendering them obsolete!

Hearing aids and cochlear transplants already 'cure' deafness so I wonder if it could presents a hurdle for FDA approval of any drugs or therapies that attempt cochlear regeneration for hearing recovery (and thus discourage potential investors)? If the new hearing-aid based techniques such as Neuromonics can boast 80% (or whatever) of tinnitus sufferers having their situation improved in published studies then again could this have a 'blocking effect' on the development of drugs targeted at tinnitus.

29. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very good point Thanks for the clarification.

30. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      If FDA won't approve you can bet European Council would.

Who says there's not big money behind a Tinnitus drug? Last i heard is drug companies such as Novartis have major lobbying power.

The way science is moving and the amount of money being allocated to brain/inner ear research with today's so called "Concussion crisis" circulating nearly every paper you can bet inner ear disorders are a hot field.