Doctor I Saw Has Amazing Research/Possible Tinnitus Cure

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Sep 28, 2016.

1. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      That's interesting, because it would suggest that Steroids could actually be contra-indicated as a first-line treatment in an acute hearing injury.

This sort of thing is the kind of research that is needed, not endless surveys about how upset we all get.

• Like Like x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is AM101 about cortisol suppression or glutamate suppression? (Google tells me Glutamate). Next question to me would be "How soon should it be administered to see a measurable result"? How many people here have sought medical help that went nowhere when time was the critical factor? Even if you had such a treatment, getting it known and out there becomes its own ordeal. Still, if we had a credible treatment option, those things become simply details to work through.
      Could also be regions of damage, rate of damage etc as well, kind of like two people can have an anterior myocardial infarction yet one will recover well and the other may drift into chronic heart failure. Chance? Luck? Divine intervention? Genetics? The stress issue starts to look a bit chicken-meet-egg anecdotally after a while. as in....
      However there are many for whom stress didn't start until after their tinnitus emerged (I number myself in that group). Its a good line of inquiry though, the stress thing, and would yield useful supporting information. (That all said, is AM101 still on the agenda anyone?)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Like you say PaulBe, so much to learn about tinnitus and fighting it. It kind of reminds me of MS in that it isn't pure genetics and has a strong environmental linkage including management of MS once diagnosed.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which is why I'm skeptical that so much can be condensed down into a magic pill. I'd be happy (and somewhat impressed) were it to happen though. Bring on the magic pill.

5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Would say most of us say bring on the magic pill big time...and hopefully that pill will show up but as with many magic pills, it likely would only directionally improve tinnitus and not eliminate it. If you listen to Michael on here who is one of the most thoughtful members of this forum, his form of a magic pill is already available. When his T goes off the hook he takes clonazepam to reel his T back in which he says is effective for him. Btw, I haven't tried that as my T is not as severe as his...though it can get up a bit and annoying at times for sure.

So, moving forward, I am hoping for a pill more targeted for T...recognizing it may not be a panacea but rather directionally lower T for many if not most. I admit to being somewhat surprised no such dedicated pill is widely acceptable as being helpful. I believe true elimination of T as many may believe...will take the form of either surgery and/or cognitive therapy...perhaps adding a microprocessor that will redirect neural pathways to denying the sound that tinnitus suffers focus upon. I am quite certain that major strides will be available at some point but no idea when. Hopefully within 10 years which would be good news for all the young people here and there are way too many young people on this forum...another surprising find I learned visiting this forum...how young and even people in their 30's have tinnitus....shocking.

• Like Like x 1
    6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I could eliminate the recurring hyperacusis and just have to deal with the (now louder than last year) tinnitus I'd consider it a step upward.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Same here!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Tinnitus is not always the result of damage to the ear, which is why deaf people do not necessarily get tinnitus. Scientists speak of there being two kinds of auditory pathways, the classical and the non-classical. Tinnitus genearated within the classical pathway is often due to neurological damage to the ear (cochlea or hearing nerve) but tinnitus generated within the non-classical pathway (involving limbic system) is often due to stress, fear, etc. That is why is it also true that people with good hearing can get tinnitus (often due to stressful life events). This is probably a simplistic model but makes some sense. The signals in the hearing nerve travel through several parts of the brain before being processed as sound, which is why the limbic system for example can affect the sounds we process.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Sarbu.Sergiu

Sarbu.Sergiu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I greet you all ,
      Hello @Mentos ,
      I am new to this forum, and what I read is very useful for me. Thanks for involvement and for information to all and to you.
      Can you please write me the name of the clinic and the data of the doctor you wrote to.
      I have read a study about it and I am interested if my problem is useful to him and I would try this.

Thank you

10. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Just cut the lamp cord and stripped back the wire then attached the positive to right and negative to left ear with clothes pins. Getting ready to plug this baby in so wish me luck.. LOL In all sincerity hope these guys are on to something with electrical stimulation to the brain....

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      This is what I have been saying for a while.

Find where it is hiding inside brain and fry the motherfucker with precision aimed laser...problem solved regardless of the cause.

Other approaches are complicated and are based on assumption that if you fix the hearing tinnitus will stop.

This may or may not work...there are deaf people who don't have tinnitus...there are just too many loose ends and too many inconsistencies with each of the theories.

People get pieces of brain cut out all the time and survive just fine...I'm not even talking about cutting...just find and fry that one spot which surely does exist.

12. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I agree wholeheartedly my friend. The brain is the source of this sadistic screech. I would pay whatever it cost to have this done.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The stress connection is very interesting. The day I developed tinnitus was right at a period of great stress in my life. It dissapated quickly (the stress) but the tinnitus remains. I always wonder if it was the trigger...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think it can be linked to adrenal fatigue; which disrupts cortisol (aka exaggerates stress response in HPA axis)

• Like Like x 1