Doctor Suggested an Ultrasound to Rule Out Carotid Artery Disease

Discussion in 'Support' started by countrygal, Oct 2, 2012.

1. countrygal

countrygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july/2007
      I've had this pulsatile tinnutis in my right ear since 2007. Been to 2 different ENTS and had an MRI done. Nothing was found out of the ordinary except some hearing loss in 2011. I have read countless articles on it but haven't found a source or cure for it yet.
      I have noticed that after taking a shower it quiets right down and I feel almost normal again until waking when it starts all over again. Its loudest when I wake and later on in evening. Confused......you bet !!
      My Dr. suggested an ultrasound on my neck arteries to rule out carotid artery disease........does anyone know/or has had this done????

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've had it done. I have pulsatile tinnitus, too (since 2010), and have had all the tests; nothing turned up.

I had a carotid artery ultrasound done at Lifeline Screening, just to rule that out, too. They didn't find anything. It was painless and quick; it's worth a try, just to be sure you don't have carotid artery disease.

How did your pulsatile tinnitus start? Did it start suddenly?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      countrygal

countrygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july/2007
      Yes I guess it started suddenly by my hearing pulsating sounds in my right ear. I matched it to my heartbeats thats why I know its pulsatile. My first test was done in 2007 and my hearing then was 100% in that ear. The ENT suggested I get an MRI to rule out a tumor, although he even said he didn't think I had one because of no headaches. Everything looked good he said except I had a crooked right septum. Last year I went again to a different ENT only this time there was a small amout of hearing loss but not bad. No help from either ENTS. I had to cancel my carotid ultrasound because I am on medicare and they don't pay 100%. Its quite an expensive test here (well over $ 1000) and I can't afford my copay at this time. My own Dr. has checked my ears for wax build up and brutes in my arteries and everything looks good to him. I think I've learned to live with it since no one can find a cure for it but it sure is annoying.........isn't it???
      Thanks so much for writing.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, it is annoying, and exhausting, too. I'm trying to learn to live with it, but sometimes it's hard to concentrate on anything else. For me, the worst time of day is late afternoon/evening. Mine is in my right ear, too.

I'm glad the results of your tests were all negative. That is good news!! The best thing we can do right now is to go on with our lives in spite of it. Maybe some day they will find a cure. Best wishes to you, and thanks to you, too, for writing.