Does Getting an Acoustic Neuroma Removed Help with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MagnumKong, Dec 13, 2019.

1. MagnumKong

MagnumKong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to the ear
      From my basic understanding, the surgery definitely causes hearing loss. Though, in all honesty, I’d take the hearing loss for a chance at relieving my tinnitus.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have an AN, but when I was concerned I might I read a lot about them.

The bottom line is there's no way of knowing, but from what I have read, the odds of AN surgery reducing tinnitus are not very good at all, and in some cases it does make things worse. (Worse hearing loss doesn't always imply worse tinnitus, but certainly can).

I am not trying to make you feel bad, but I think it's good to have realistic expectations. https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php is a forum just for AN where you can get more info

I had a boss at one point who'd had an AN removed and reported absolute unilateral deafness on that side, but no tinnitus. But, he'd had no tinnitus pre-op, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MagnumKong

MagnumKong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to the ear
      Thank you for the information. I don’t have an AN myself as far as I’m aware, but I felt I should at least entertain the possibility that I might before my next MRI. It’s unfortunate that there isn’t much evidence supporting AN removal helping tinnitus. That’s about what I expected though.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus is linked to hearing loss. You can get hearing loss and have more tinnitus or worse tinnitus, more reactive, etc

5. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      The chance of you have an AN is extremely remote.