Does It Matter How Loud It Is?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Jan 10, 2015.

1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The only thing that actually matters is you awareness of your T, or not even that.....

if you are aware of it, will it interfere with you life and create negative thinking/emotions/anxiety.

I would say that on a good day witch i have most of now, i am aware of me T 80-60% of the time but it does not really interfere with my life and only create negative thinking about 5% of the day.

A bad day I am aware of my T 90-80% and it creates native thinking the better part of it but i can still go on with my day pretty normal.

I would say my T awareness i just slightly better than in the beginning but my handling of it is much better.

How is it for you?
      How much of the day are you aware of your T?

Do you think it basically different physiological factors behind this? Not hearing T it is more of an passive process and no negative thinking tough wards it is more of an active process?

2. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I've had T about as long as you and I'm aware of the T much of the time, but like you it doesn't impact my life as much as it used to. On good days I do feel more positive and hopeful, but on bad days it creates more a feeling of annoyance than panic like I used to get. I've come to think of my T (which is a high-pitched electrical screech) more like background noise that I can pretty much ignore as I go about my day. I think this process happened gradually over time. Thinking positively definitely helps, as well as accepting the T as just another facet of my life, like mild arthritis and occasional insomnia. However, if there was a safe pill I could take to get rid of the T, I'd be first in line!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yes it matters how loud anyone's T is. My T was loud the first few months and I had trouble masking it with everyday sounds. So I kept thinking about it day and night.

6 months later my T is now a whooshing sound which I don't hear unless I'm in a quite room so it helps when you don't hear your T. I now can think of other things besides my T during the day.

4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      From experience and talking to others, how "loud" your tinnitus is really only matters in the beginning as that will influence how often you're thinking about it. However, there are people with relatively mild tinnitus who concentrate on it constantly. The loudness of tinnitus does not mean you can't habituate. I know people with extremely loud tinnitus coupled with multiple different sounds... who could care less and still ride Harleys every day.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      David
      You hit the nail on the head! It's all about your reaction to it (not so much your awareness of it). However, the less you react to it (especially negatively) the less you are aware of it. So, what once spiraled up can now spiral down.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
    6. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Yes, it matter how loud you T is since it much harder to be unaware of a loud T compared to a low one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      Yes it does matter how loud it is.

On low T-days I'm feeling much better (like as if life is almost normal).
      On loud T-days I'm feeling very tired and cannot concentrate on things because my brains are constantly hearing the noisy sounds.

I love silence so much. So I miss the silence a lot on very loud T-days and then I am feeling not good.

So I am aware of the T the whole day long when T is loud.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I know my 'T' is loud. How loud? I don't want to know. I've had bad T since 1990 in my many years I have had 3 relapses. Currently in my 8 month of a 3rd relapse. Can't really say what brings on a relapse. But it happens. I deal with it knowing I have and will habituate to it again. I do take medications to deal with anxiety and sleep. I have found they work for me. I usually habituate with 12-18 months. I keep you inform. To my follower suffers time dose help.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I am new to this obnoxious intruder and it does currently alter my daily life. On low days, I do accomplish more and have hope. On loud days like today, I do things but not comfortably. The T consumes my world. I loose hope and positive thinking. I'm 8 months into this now and everyone says I'm much better than 3 months ago. I'm doing acupunture treatments with Chinese herbal remedies and have had very low periods where I thought it was gone! however, these periods are not forever and when the demon T comes back, I can get pretty down. although I'm convinced, that if it can go low once in a while, why not all the time? those are the hopes I cling onto to.

• Agree Agree x 1