Does Sound Therapy Work Better on Some Types of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Lilah, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does sound therapy/TRT work better on some types of tinnitus (i.e., related to sensory system, caused by acoustic trauma, etc.) versus other types of tinnitus? I have severe fluctuating (mostly noise type and pitch) somatic tinnitus that changes based on all types of movements; the cause is unknown.

Is it worthwhile for me to pursue TRT, with the expectation that my tinnitus may be suppressed?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @Lilah -

The proponents of TRT claim that the cause of the tinnitus (acoustic trauma, ototoxicity, etc.) and the character of the sound (loudness, pitch, etc.) are irrelevant. TRT is purported to facilitate habituation, but it does not "suppress" tinnitus.

As to whether or not it is worthwhile for you (or anyone!) to pursue TRT, that is an entirely different matter. Over time I have become less and less a fan of TRT - not because I don't think it works, but rather because the counseling component of TRT (which is just as important as the sound therapy component) is time-intensive and highly clinician-dependent. The problem is that there is no credentialing or standardization in TRT. So how does a tinnitus sufferer find a knowledgeable, experienced, ethical TRT clinician these days? I consider that challenge to be a major issue.

I guess I should clarify that my response above referred specifically to the sound therapy used in TRT, since you said "sound therapy/TRT" in your question. There are, of course, other forms of sound therapy.

Best regards -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Lilah, as you do your due diligence, here are some questions that you might ask in your search for a knowledgeable and experienced tinnitus clinician, TRT or otherwise:

· What is the approach the clinician is recommending and why?
      · What type of training has the clinician undergone in the use of that approach?
      · How long has the clinician been using the approach?
      · How many tinnitus sufferers has the clinician treated with the approach?
      · What is the clinician's success rate using the approach?
      · How does the clinician define and measure success?

Hope this helps.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

• Like Like x 1