Does the Shower or Shower Fan Make Anyone's Tinnitus Louder?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mathew Gould, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My tinnitus has been low at times and then I get out of the shower and it's back to loud again... Anyone else have this happen??

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, I had that happen to me. I listened to my body, and began taking baths instead of showers. (I guess you could also try wearing earplugs when you shower.) After about 4 months, my T stopped being as reactive, I resumed taking showers, and I no longer get spikes as a result of showers.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Why do u think T gets worse from the shower?? My T wasn't there, then I get out of the shower and it pops back up. I've had stretches of NO T basically for a few days and the shower doesn't make the T go back up either.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Our ears have been compromised. The noises that healthy people won't even notice are enough to give us spikes. Those guidelines about the noises that might lead to hearing loss are for Healthy people. Nobody had studied what noises give T spikes to people with existing T. Your experience, many of my experiences, and many experiences that others shared on this forum seem to imply that, at least while our ears heal (and ears take months or even years to heal), it makes sense to stay away from even moderate noises (like that of a vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, blender).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      So just any loud noises will make the T worse is what you're saying??? I have the T that goes up with sound like the TV, so white noise or noise from say a fan makes my T worst.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Also I got my T from a jaw/neck misalignment. Do u think that a neck brace would help me neck?? Also Bill in the last month of so I've had days with NO T, prob about 7 days out of the last 3-4 weeks with no T.. Is this a sign I'm getting better possibly??? Before the first 5 months I had T every day.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I believe that protecting our ears from those moderate noises promotes recovery/fading. I think that spikes interfere with our recovery. Everyone is different, but I think it is fair to say that moderate noises CAN make T louder, at least temporarily. I believe that if one keeps doing things that keep causing temporary spikes, eventually the spike can become permanent.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      U think with my T disappearing say 7 days out of the last 25, that its a sign that I'm healing??

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you are. If you are seeing improvement, there is no reason for it not to continue fading/disappearing for longer and longer intervals. However, I think that exposing healing ears to noise certainly interferes with this recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      What can I do then for showers?? Earplugs maybe swimmers wear?? I read a previous post that maybe its from the vibration of the shower.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can take baths, and then run the tap in the bath to wash off the soap...

13. Paul Burdett

Paul Burdett Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My T is lower after a shower about 70% of the time. Strange beast!

• Like Like x 1
    14. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Yep, but after two months it seems to have less impact on my T. But at the begging my T loudness after shower was higher by 50 %. Now much less. Btw. I don't have shower fan. But I agree with @Bill Bauer, it's probably because of noise. I noticed that in other circumstances, my T raises up when I'm exposed to noise.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My T was above avg for my before I when to bed last night, prob from salty pizza and the shower. I woke up today and it was barely noticeably.

16. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I have TMJ/Neck issues causing my T. Showers piss off my T like crazy! Though I have issues with elevation changes of the slightest kind, it's gotten better and my T doesn't scream as much after showers or as long. Mine doesn't seem to mind noise as much.

You might switch to showers for a bit whether it's the noise ticking it off or the pressure change.

17. tokyotony
      Busy

tokyotony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some hearing loss more likely due to aging
      I'm the same way. After taking a shower, most of the time, my T is very quiet for about an hour. I am guessing that the high pitched sounds of the water echoing in the shower might be helping to fill in the high pitch sounds I can hear less of??

18. Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It happens to me too. I think part of is in the shower my T is mostly masked, then when I get out again I hear it and it's jarring.

19. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I dont really spike from a shower without earplugs. I tried it a few times with silicone earplugs. While it kept most of the water outside the ear canal, the result was mixed. It was quieter running the water before getting into the shower, but washing hair was louder due to occlusion effect with water directly onto the scalp. I have not worn earplugs to shower for months, and have not spiked from it.

• Like Like x 1