Does Tinnitus Always Get Worse?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lexy Lou, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Lexy Lou

Lexy Lou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      Hi.

I've noticed my tinnitus over the last 3 months or so. It's only properly noticeable when it should be silent. I get the 'hum' the 'eeee' and some other noise I'm not sure how to type.

3 years ago I went to a concert that I believe the amplifiers damaged the ear that was facing them (stupid STUPID me never considered to wear ear protection to concerts as have been to many and never had any issues from them, seriously regretting it now). Since that concert on loud close noises, I would hear a vibrating noise, as if a bee was next to my ear and once the noise stopped so would the buzz/distortion - maybe my ears' way of protecting itself as it's already damaged? I've noticed recently this has got so much worse and singing at a normal volume to the radio in the car recently I felt so imbalanced, as if my damaged ear tried to shut off, and pushed all sound to the other side, then back again. Such a weird and horrible feeling that even that was now too loud for my ear :-( I've been wearing an earplug in the one ear and that seems to help stop the distortion on low/medium level close noises. Has anyone experienced this or similar? What is it? If I could get it treated I would, but feel doubtful of anything being available and this is now my life, having to keep a ear plug close to hand just in case.

The tinnitus I've noticed as well, I'd say it's around 3 months, but could be a little longer and am talking myself into believing that this is what silence has always sounded like, I'm just focusing too much on my damaged ear. And can't stop thinking about it I've seen an ENT and they recommended an MRI, but will this really solve anything or can it pinpoint why it's happening?!

Will the tinnitus always get worse or could this be my level? Because I'm worried about it getting worse. I can't stop focusing on it.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated.

X

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All I can say (in my case at least) it will not "always" get worse, and it can actually get better. The first 6 months of onset last year were hellish for me, but it's so much better now and seems to incrementally get better in time month on month for me. I have gone from tinnitus levels of 7/10 most days last year to most days now being "just hearing it slightly in quiet places."

Time does seem to be the healer for some of us if you are careful, but it just seems to take a lot of time unfortunately.

Hang on in there, and wish you all the best!

3. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Mine was stable and didn't get worse for 13 years, and I even went to concerts without earplugs sometimes. Then a noise trauma started a slippery slope of decline that's been going on for 7 years now... :(