Does Your Static Tinnitus Sound Ever Disappear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by smapti, Aug 14, 2020.

1. smapti

smapti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infections
      I'm just a little bit concerned that mine might be permanent now - for a long time in the past, it seems to have disappeared for a long time. But recently, it seems to be prevalent almost every day. Sometimes stable - sometimes oscillating.

Question: Does your static tinnitus sound ever disappear into the background for long periods of time, and then come back as a "spike" of sorts for long periods of time? If it did, did it eventually go away again, or has it stayed with you forever?

I'm just wondering if I have a new sound that I have to try to accept and habituate to. I'm really hoping that is not the case.

Thanks for your help! Postings instead of lurks are really appreciated!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      Hi, as no one has answered you in all this time, I'll give you my opinion. From what I've read on this site in the Success Stories category, I see a lot of people whose tonal tone disappears but the static sound always remains.

In my case, on good days I only get static but it's still louder and I'd really like the static to disappear.

Is it possible that the tonal tones come from the cochlea and static comes from a damaged auditory nerve?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      What is meant by “static”?

In my case, I have mid frequency sounds which are clearly tonal, and a high frequency sound which could be described as “static,” though I believe it is also tonal rather than broadband.

In my case, after 17 months it’s the high frequency noise that really gets to me.

4. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      When they talk about static noise, it's like the sound of an old television with no signal. Shhhhhh. My tonal tones kind of disappear and I get this sound.