Donating Blood and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fangen, Sep 16, 2016.

1. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Just to let you know that superboy was not genetically related to superman directly. Superman when working as Clark Kent as a newspaper man donated blood only one time in his life. You guessed it. Superboy was the recipient of Superman's blood sample. A serendipitous twist of fate. The fact that human qualities including super human abilities can be passed by blood is little known to the public. In fact, Lance Armstrong engaged in constant blood transfusions to fortify the oxygen level in his blood as he won 7 consecutive Tour de Frances. Unknown who Lance's donor was. Superboy isn't talking because of Lance's fall from grace.

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Enjoy the humor. Needed at times to lighten the load. (y)

3. SyllaT

SyllaT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      I haven't read the all the replies, so I might just repeat something.

I have been a blood donor for almost 20 years. My hbg i always high, but in resent years my ferritin is very low.

In 2014 i got Tinitus and a severe headace (with auora). The was just after giving blood, but i did not suspect the donation of blood to have anything to do with it.

Beforehand, I had experienced tinnitus many times for short periods, like 5 minutes or so, and then it would go away. But this time, the tinnitus was louder, both the tone and it also sounded like wind in my ears. Luckily, the windy sound went away the next day, but the sound of a tone has stayed with me since.

Since then, I have noticed, that my tinnitus gets very loud right after giving blood. So I have tried to observe/document my tinnitus before and after blood donation.

I gave blood yesterday, when i was back home, the tinitus was very loud and much louder than it has been for the past 2-3 months. And I hear the wind aswell.

So I suspect, that deficiency in some blood compounds can cause tinnitus, and that a blood donor might experience tinnitus, if this is the case. Ofcourse it might be a coincidence...or some other relation, that naturally occurs when I give blood.

My late grandfather did however say, that his tinitus vanished, when he started to take supplimemts with iron.

I have not decided to stop with donations. I hope to get my ferritin fixed instead. :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Thank you for sharing your experience. To be honest, I still haven't donated blood (this thread is like a year old almost) and it is still due to the fear of being on an iron deficiency and somehow just mess things up. As it doesn't really say anywhere (I've googled it a lot) that any spikes or cause of tinnitus would actually resolve if your iron level went back to normal, it really just put me off from it :(