Doubts About the Cause

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Miriam, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Miriam

Miriam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1999
      I have tinnitus since childhood but only occasionally noticed when I went to sleep and I think it decreased. Also I thought that was normal. it was like listening to the heart, a kind of Fum Fum fum.

Well, now I have 23 years. Two years ago I took an ear infection in the right ear, i was with the infection all summer, and finally the infection was only. when I went to docotr, at 6 months later, he said that i had a hearing loss in both ears and could be otosclerosis. Then I got to ask him about the noises that had since childhood because beginning to think it was not normal. And it was then when he confirmed me that they were not normal. From there I started to notice them more, and three months later i came a noise very hard, this noise desaparecio,but another stayed, like a factory noise. I have many others, but that is dominant.

The doctor says that my increase is owing the loss of hearing. but i don´t know if due to loss of hearing. or otherwise,because I have since childhood. the thing is that my docotr says I'm too young to have other problems and does not want me to test.

Lately I'm very overwhelmed and stressed because I hear all the time and i don´t know that to do.

So my question is, the increase may be due to? As I can do to make lower intenidad? I need help.

I'm sorry if I do not understand very well,

thank you

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Miriam -

So as I understand it, you have had tinnitus all your life (since childhood) that you thought was normal and that really never bothered you much. Now as an adult you went to doctor for an unrelated ear problem and happened to mention the tinnitus. The doctor told you that the tinnitus was not normal - and as a consequence you are attending to it more and have become distressed by it.

Here's how I suggest you look at the situation. Rather than worrying about what is normal and what is not normal, consider instead what might be a symptom of something that might or might not affect your health in some way. And clearly if your tinnitus were a symptom of something that is a threat to your health, life, or well-being ... by now you would be quite ill! Well you're not ill ... save for all the worry your tinnitus is now causing you. Indeed, I suspect that if instead of telling you that your tinnitus was not normal. he'd have told you what I just told you, then instead of causing you distress, likely it would not be an issue in your life at all!

So the problem isn't the tinnitus; the problem lies in the way information about your tinnitus was conveyed to you!

Think about it. Sounds to me like you're going to be just fine.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 3