Doxylamine

Discussion in 'Support' started by nills, Mar 7, 2014.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Anyone know if this chemical can cause damage to the hair cells in the ear ... and what is this called again? trying to Google it but no luck.

Doxylamine succinate is a antihistamine

tnx

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I've taken it on and off again in the past, and I did spend a little time trying to find out whether or not it was ototoxic, however I couldn't find much through Google. I came across one brand that had tinnitus listed as a possible side effect, and maybe a couple mentions on a forum or two, nothing overwhelmingly concrete though. I remember reading a few times that doxylamine might "mask" the symptoms of other ototoxic medications though.

When I was taking it on and off, I did find that it would reduce my tinnitus significantly while I was on it. However I thought I best err on the side of caution and stop taking it just in case because of the stuff I've read on other antihistamines like diphendramine, but yeah my research didn't really lead me to any real conclusions.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, i`m working nightshifts and the first couple of days it`s always hard to sleep so the pharmacy gave me this stuff ... the natural stuff isn`t strong enough. It has ringing ears listed as possible side effects though I presume that would be the temporary version ... I might start with half or half of a half and see what it does ... just don`t want to cause any further damage ... enough for now. thanks for your input!