Dr. Nagler, 11 dB SL Tinnitus and Niagara Falls

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stink, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. sweet @linearb what do you ride?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I consider providing information to be a form of support. I consider challenging distorted thinking and irrational claims to be a form of support. It's just not the touchy-feely form of support.

Then I suggest that you and those who feel like you do show a little maturity and self-control and STOP READING MY POSTS.

3. What about stuff? do you have stuff and thangs?

• Like Like x 1
    4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Exactly! Humans are programed that way. However, some people seem to think that their "good" days and "bad" days only started when they got tinnitus.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, I see. That's not really the same thing as
      In fact, it's sort of the exact opposite.
      Hey man, anyone can walk away from anything, right? Like, just as I'm free to not read your posts, you're free to not read or reply to things, too. And yet...
      I really respect a lot of the things you've written, @Dr. Nagler. I do. Some of them were extremely useful to me when I was in a dark place. You sent me a copy of a book at one point, which was also helpful. So, what I am saying here, comes from a place of acknowledgement of your work, and respect.

That said you are being abusive. You are speaking in a condescending and frankly mean way to people who are pretty clearly already in an unhappy place and dealing with a lot. And, from the way you're posting here, you're coming across as reeking of ego. Myself being someone with a storied history as a condescending egomaniac, I'm pretty good at sniffing it out in others, and it is ugly.

It's one thing to challenge unrealistic thoughts. Any good, experienced CBT practicioner does that all the time, without resorting to ad-hominem attacks and self-congratulation.

Enfield Bullet 500 right now, trying to upgrade to a Zero sometime because woo-woo, electric == no engine noise. I don't have a problem with Harleys at all -- the build quality is way higher than my bike, for sure! But, stylistically, they're just not my thing. That might change if I ever took one for a test ride ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. ady

ady Member

agree.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      OK, enough is enough. I was not going to comment on Dr Naglers way of doing things, he is quite capable of doing that himself, but to dis him without really knowing him is wrong.

About a year ago I got some test results from the hospital via email, (a service the the hospital provides) that I had a potential life threatening issue. Here it is 1:00am on a Friday night, I am pretty shook up with the test results, and no Dr to talk to, or even ask a few question regarding these results.

I thought about asking Dr N and then figured this was not T related at all, but my fear got the best of me. I thought the worst thing that could happen was that I would get a reply saying, sorry that is not what I am here for. I emailed him at around 2:00am, and told him my situation, he asked if I could send him a copy of the report, after doing so he replied back in ten minutes, telling me "call me @ xxx-xxx-xxxx" I of course called and he proceeded to spend a fair amount of time with me on the phone, and explained enough to me that I no longer had that fear and was able to sleep that night. I finally got in contact with a Dr in this field on Monday.

I do not know Dr N personally, I have asked him questions on "The Dr's corner, I have not talked to him on the phone before or since. In my time of need he was there for me, with support/answers to my questions, and a dose of reassurance. I will be forever grateful, for him, basically a stranger, to help me in my time of great anguish and fear.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing some, or even many, good things, does not excuse improper behavior in other situations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Dammit, Gary. I have a certain image and reputation that I am desperately trying to maintain on this board ... and you're ruining EVERYTHING!

Seriously, thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so very glad I could help out.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Do you want to talk about your tinnitus ... or do you just want to whine some more?

11. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      As the guy who seems to have started some of this, and who also probably escalated it a bit when wisdom would say not to, could I very respectfully suggest we all give it a break now. I'm not disagreeing with what anyone says, just saying that in the heat of the moment things can get nastier than is useful. I speak from experience and I'm not criticising anyone or really changing my own opinion... I guess I'm just sharing that for a moment earlier today I felt like a bit of a dick for giving such free vent to my argumentative side, and I'd rather spare anyone else that feeling if I can.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Now this is scary - a mature, intelligent, and responsible analysis of a difficult and contentious situation. Well said, dboy.

13. If you do, you better buy a truck as well ;):p

14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think Harleys are a bit "old man in young man's clothes". Give me a classic British bike any-day. Zils are pretty cool too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I agree with you, @gary!

• Like Like x 1
    16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Paul, when I was about 18 or 19 I had a Matchless 750 Made by Norton in the UK, that was one sweet bike. I will never forget that winged emblem on the sides of the gas tank. That bike I should have kept. Some of the used prices for one restored are around $25,000.

Where did you get the Zil, I assume it is yours. I believe the front end is a Packard and the rear is from Russia. First one of those I ever saw. Is it a 56 Zil. What engine does it have.

17. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Nice, I prefer the Indian to a Harley I suppose that's the nostalgic in me.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Hi Gary. I don't know what the engine was specifically but it certainly was a big V8 to lug all those Commissars around in comfort. Not mine sadly, but I do like esoteric cars...Zil, Chaika, Hongqi etc. They face-lifted this one in the early 60s by grafting a Cadillac copy nose on, which worked surprisingly well. I guess they had no more Packards to copy by then.

19. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I sold my last Harley back in November. I saw an Indian Scout in a parking lot a couple of months ago and was really impressed. After reading a number of reviews about it, I'm seriously considering getting one next year. Btw, if you've never seen the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian" I highly recommend it. It's based on a true story about a guy from NZ. If you like motorcycles, you won't be disappointed!

Фото-мотоцикла-Indian-Scout-2015-опытная-модель.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    20. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I've seen "The World's Fastest Indian" and loved it. Anthony Hopkins was wonderful! Here's my ride. It's a 1968 Shovelhead FLH.

kat2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Great photos, @jimH and @Kathi!

Makes me wonder if there is a statistically significant difference in the proportion of motorcycle enthusiasts in the tinnitus population of the industrialized world vs. the proportion of motorcycle enthusiasts in the non-tinnitus population of the industrialized world. In other words, does being a motorcycle or racing enthusiast predispose to tinnitus? Same can be asked, I guess, of rock concert lovers, lawn maintenance workers, jack hammer operators, etc.

22. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Great pic, @Kathi! I think that ladies that ride their own scoots are and look VERY cool! This pic of me on a Sportster 1200 was taken in 2007. I've owned two other Harleys since then.

15937980_display.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

Good question Dr. Nagler. I'd hate to think I brought this on myself though. I also drive a rather noisy 2005 F350 turbo diesel truck and I often wonder if that had something to do with it. I've been driving diesel trucks for 20 years. A combination of noise, stress and age related HFHL. A perfect storm?

I'm riding again--going to Sturgis (Black Hills Motorcycle Rally) in August. I have to keep doing what I love or what is the point of living?

• Like Like x 1
    24. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      You look very cool Jim! My spouse had a sporty once. He now has a 2001 dresser--custom painted with eagles and the American Flag...I'll try to find a photo. It's a beautiful bike.

I always tell people who call me a biker chick that I'm not--I'm a biker. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I think it's great @Kathi and @jimH, that u still are doing what you love, tinnitus be damned. You guys are an inspiration. Great pics. Shine on.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    26. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah, @Kathi,...That Sportster was fast and a lot of fun in the mountains where I live. However, it was a bit small for me. So, I move up to a Street Glide later that year.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Yeah the Sportsters are fast but my spouse is a big guy too so he went to the Electra Glide--great comfort for long rides and better for an 'older' biker. Also, he said he was always stopping for gas with the Sportster--but HD has fixed that problem.

28. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The point I'm trying to make here (clumsily) is that even though you might (or might not) have brought on your own tinnitus, your tinnitus is *not* the problem. The intrusivity of your tinnitus is the problem, and you did nothing at all to bring on that!

29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus before I got a motorcycle.

30. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      What I am trying to say, again clumsily, is that it just doesn't matter. Because tinnitus is *not* the problem!!!! You're not here because you have tinnitus. Nobody is. Tinnitus is incredibly common in the general population. Soft tinnitus. LOUD tinnitus. "Reactive" tinnitus. Pulsatile tinnitus. High pitched tinnitus. Low-pitched tinnitus. It's all common. And none of that stuff is what brings you to this board!