"Drinking Water Right Before Sleep" Experiment for Those Whose Sleep Affects Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 4, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, many people here mentioned that sleep affects their tinnitus so I thought I would propose an experiment to people whose tinnitus is louder in the morning OR whose tinnitus may be louder in the morning (i.e. fluctuates). Water is essential for proper brain function yet while sleeping, the brain gets no infusion of water. This can be negative if not much water is drunk during the day. My proposal is to drink a certain amount of water right before bed. Perhaps 16 ounces which would be two cups. If it should be higher, I'm not sure because if too much water is drunk, it could lead to electrolyte imbalances. Perhaps people can give feedback on the amount they try if they do this experiment. My theory is that if the brain is working optimal during sleep, tinnitus would be lower in the morning on those whose sleep affects T.

(By the way, electrolytes include sodium, chloride, magnesium, potassium and other elements.) Interesting to note that some people have been helped from tinnitus with magnesium or reducing salt which is sodium plus chloride. More water can reduce sodium levels I believe but its important not to reduce them too much because the body needs sodium :)

I also read that when the brain is even a little dehydrated, it can cause stress levels to increase because it increase the amount of cortisol in the brain. Conversely, stress can dehydrate the body and if you have been under stress due to tinnitus, drinking water is a good thing.

Therefore, my proposal is on night 1, take 16 ounces of water right before falling asleep and see if the tinnitus is lower in the morning. If this doesn't work, try to keep cool during the night and reduce heavy blankets if they are uncessary and drink water before bed. The important thing is try not get too dehydrated during sleep. I'm not sure if this may need several days to change the brain to work or if it will work instantly.

If that doesn't work after a few days, try taking 200mg magnesium glycinate with 16 ounces of water and see if tinnitus lessens when you wake up.

A possible additional thing to try is drinking 1 quart OR 1 liter of water (instead of 16 ounces) right before bed. I think it is safe as long as you don't have some kind of illness that would make it bad. You may want to research just to make sure.

Finally, if your tinnitus spikes during the day and you are stressed, try drinking 12 to 16 ounces of water immediately and see if it goes back down. Remember though, do not drink an unhealthy amount of water every day, either too low or too high. You will probably have to do research on what a maximum safe level is.

I'm going to list a few links to read of why I am proposing this experiment:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-illuminated/201010/why-your-brain-needs-water
      http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-stress-reduction#1

Please let me know your feedback about this experiment.

If this does help, consider drinking water when you first wake up as well. There is something called "water therapy" that you can read up on the internet. It is not the same as "hydro-therapy". Water is great but I want to caution people against drinking a ridiculous amount each day as it can be dangerous.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you! I will try this.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You are very welcome. Please come back and post what happens. :) I hope this is able to help some people. I guess through experimentation we can find out.

4. Vidarr
      Relaxed

Vidarr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I generally feel better when I drink more water. It doesn't affect the level of my tinnitus, but the overall increase in physical wellness affects my mental wellness which helps my reaction to tinnitus.

In short: more water = good :)

V.

5. Bleep

Bleep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps stress
      I will report back too

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006

7. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      This sounds like a recipe for spending the night going to the loo.

• Agree Agree x 1