Droning Pressure Attacks: Ménière's, or Noise-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dd314, Feb 12, 2024.

1. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Over the last few years, I get a strange type of pressure attack in my ears, where my hearing gets muffled and I hear a low-frequency droning sound, with a lot of bilateral pressure in my ears. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds, and happens to me about 5 times per year, so it's not often. It's accompanied with a slight dizziness, but not vertigo.

I got one of these attacks last night, but it was more intense than usual. It's so scary, and I'm worried about it affecting my hearing. I'm way more afraid of hearing loss than temporary tinnitus spikes, because hearing cells don't grow back.

Does anyone else get this? Is it normal for people with noise-induced tinnitus? Could it be Ménière's?

2. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is strange! I opened up the site because I'm experiencing this EXACT same thing right now as we speak. It's really annoying! It's lasted more than 5 seconds, though. It's been a few minutes.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      They're scary, whatever they are. How are you doing now?

4. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Better. It lasted about an hour.

5. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey guys.

It sounds like fleeting and extended fleeting attacks. I’ve had these before; they’re like the regular ones but in a lower frequency and, for some reason, can linger. I had a fear like you guys but never noticed a permanent result.

For me, they haven’t happened to that degree for years now. They may have been due to consistent headphone usage at the time. Super scary because of the fuller pitch. It may indicate something is going on but I wouldn’t stress about it unless something specifically changes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1