Dropped a Metal Shower Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He wants to get 17dB of protection instead of 12 dB of protection.

2. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      You're talking about T but you are in the H forum, so I'll share my experience. Note that I'm speaking from the perspective of an H sufferer, not T. My T is fairly constant no matter what I do and it doesn't really bother me anymore. But my H is still bad, and a dropped metal shower head causes me pain if I don't have ear protection. I know, because it happened to me a few times. After the clank and thud, my ears (especially my right, the bad ear) feel sore and tender before a throbbing pain sets in that can last for seconds to minutes. As time goes by, I notice the pain goes away faster. It lasted for hours before, so thank goodness for tiny mercies. Otherwise I would be dead by now because no way in hell will I subject myself to years of endless pain over everyday sounds.

Anyway, I shower with earplugs on just so I won't be in pain when I drop things. It has worked well for me. No pain and far less anxiety. I would wince when I drop things but that's about it. I enjoy long showers so I won't let this condition take that away from me.

I started out with mild T and H, but just one bad setback last July propelled me into severe H. It took so long to get out of that hell, and it's crazy to think it took only seconds of protectionless exposure for me to fall into it.

Just want to add, I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but that isn't my intention. If anything, you should take it as a positive that someone like me could still improve (check my post history if you're curious about my H struggles). But I'm also realistic about my advice. If doing something makes your T or H worse, then don't do it, or if you must do it, do it with the necessary precautions.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I've got three different types of earplugs already. It's trial an error. I'll stick with those that'll satisfy me the most.
      E.g. I'm getting these ones now: https://eardial.com/
      + I think I'll be getting soon enough the 3M Peltor X4A earmuffs as suggested by Bill. I kind of like that model. Also, this "neckband" model looks to me even more like your typical headphone set. Ideal for use in a subway.

More on earplugs here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/best-invisible-earplugs.2911/page-2#post-291660

Attached Files:

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

I don't think this is quite accurate either. I wouldn't call this the "true noise reduction". This is taking into account average fit and people not wearing hearing protection properly. The 31db is in a laboratory setting and is the best possible attenuation, obviously most people aren't going to get this much, but 17dB seems a little low to me. Also, the link is talking about earplugs not earmuffs. Hair might get in the way, but earmuffs give closer to the reported attenuation than earplugs are, and individual fit doesn't matter as much.

There is a better explanation here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...how-to-use-the-noise-reduction-rating-nrr.pdf

It's difficult to estimate the real protection level. If you are wearing the right sized earplugs for your individual ear canals and inserting them deeply, I'm willing to bet the attenuation is somewhere in between the NNR number and the (NNR-7)/2 number. I think (I hope) I'm getting at least 30db reduction with my Peltor X5A's and hearos xtreme earplugs underneath.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That is my bad. I originaly used a hashtag in the title #hyperacusis (bec I've got now both T. & H.) I then deleted the hashtag but one of the moderators on here must've moved this thread to a different forum already. Sorry.

My initial concern were tinnitus spikes, how loud the 'bang' (shower metal head i.e.) ought to be to summon one or how you can tell that one is coming. Again, I've got next to no experience with all this.

Now we're even discussing here earplugs, safety earmuffs and so on and so forth.

That's some awesome news! I'm really happy for you :) From what you said, I can tell you must've been through a lot. Life can be pretty harsh. Fingers crossed your condition continuous to improve!
      Well, that's kinda what happened with me. I bought these earplugs for swimmers and decided to have a shower, right? It was the first time, so I didn't want to push them too far into the ear cannal as not to damage the eardrum or perforate smth. Then whilst having a shower I moved my jaw, noticed one of them might not be fitted properly, got nervous a shampoo might have gotten in causing a possible irritation/inflamation later on. I took the earplug out and that's when the shower head slipped outta my hand.. Have you got any tips/tricks, favourite shower earplugs brand?

Cheers

Attached Files:

6. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-X-Fit-U...&qid=1512938520&sr=8-10&keywords=uvex+earplug

I wouldn't recommend the ones you used. Foam has good soundproofing ability, even against low frequencies, and as long as you make sure they enter the inner ear canal, preferable deep, you can be sure they create a seal against incoming sound. I don't have the same confidence in plastic ear plugs.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you mixed up the quotations.

8. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've corrected it now. Thx for pointing it out.

I had considered to weigh in on the discussion about what protection you actually get from using plugs and muffs, but realized I didn't had much to add, really. I think your analysis was about right.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
    11. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I use them when I shower and have never had any problems.

There was an incident i Sweden where a person with T used "Christman tree earplugs" and one fell apart inside his ear. Probably extremely unusual, of course. But quite the pain if it would happen.

• Informative Informative x 2
    12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Earmuffs are less subject to the differences in an individual's anatomy and proper use. Hair can get in the way etc, but it's not like some people only put earmuffs on half way.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The above makes a lot of sense. But how do you explain that 3M company is using that formula for ear muffs too? I mean, they have an incentive to maximize NRR that their consumers think they are getting when the consumers buy 3Ms products. I am very happy with my 3M muffs and ear plugs. I trust the people behind 3M and I respect them.

This is my 3,000th post. I never expected to make 3,000 posts here. Back in February, I registered just so that I could make that Stats post...

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Happy 3,000th! And I thought I spent too much time here!

I don't know why 3M does that. I would like to see where they get the actual formula from. Maybe they're compensating for OSHA's outdated "safe" noise level data that employers use. Maybe not, but all you care about with earmuffs is the seal they have against your head. I trust 3M's data with NRR, other manufactures have claimed 36db-37db NRR on their earmuffs which is think is bogus.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
    18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    19. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      taking medical advice from a forum filled with panicked people is substantially more dangerous than dropping a shower head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      They do recieve high ratings on other sites as well, tough. So there might be some truth to it. Even nutnfancy rated them as his personal favourite. This guy's a guru when it comes to concealed carry and gear testing.
      Quoting: "Nutnfancy is one of the most trusted gear reviewers in the world. He is a retired Lt Col USAF Pilot with 21 yrs of service."
      Hearing Protectors Update: Clear Armor Favorite

I'm considering getting 3M Peltor X4A - Bill's recommendation. Right now I'm wearing earplugs -27 dB + these safety earmuffs on (viz pic) around the city and people give me stares like I'm a watermelon salesman or smth.
      earmuffs.jpg
      I just want a good protection (30 dB ish) and make an impression like I'm wearing actual Beats. A bit stylish.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      True. Where else would you like to get some hope the situation will get better?? I saw so many ENT's already and all they say is 'gotta learn to live with it', 'no cure, no help..', 'upper intake clonazepam levels' or just shrug it off

Here people share their knowledge/experience, things to avoid and there is already an evidence that the situation may improve over time - jjflyman posts, Bill Baur STATS(very important), Greg Sacramento advice (holds a d. in anatomy)

and many more... + when you're absolutely down on life this is after all, "a friendly tinnitus support board"

I understand the docs want to stay professional and all that, but then again - is it going to hurt that much if they give you some hope that your situation might improve over time? or that there's even a chance you might get rid of it?

There are people who are mentally unstable and this may feel thne like a death sentence to plenty. Get what I mean?

22. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I'm no longer panicking. I used to, at the start. Now, I just speak from actual, real experience.