Ear Infection and Hearing Loss — Prednisone Infusion

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alper, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Alper
      Angry

Alper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      I am now again (after 1 year and 5 months) on prednisone infusion for the second time after major hearing loss in my right ear (good ear, only a little T hum) because of ear infection last week (that comes from my throat infection 3 days before...), otitis media with acute hearing loss.

My story is that I have T since May 2015 in my left ear because of ear infection, introduced after throat infection and now got exactly the same story again with my right ear. The first prednisone infusion I was too late, I did it about 4,5 months after onset of T. It didn't help much, only a placebo for two weeks. But it was of course too late so it would be a miracle if it worked.

The first 7 days my GP gave me Amoxicillin because otitis media and I asked also for prednisolone but the GP refused to prescribe it (in the Netherlands you can't get prednisone easily but only it's life threatening). Also because she thought that it could do more harm then good on the infection, means worsening infection. After I finished Amoxicillin I got the flu-cold and my ear was getting more and more hearing loss.

I decided to go to an ENT in Germany familiar with Tinnitus and also member of the Deutsche Tinnitus Liga. Yesterday and today I got in total 2 infusions with steroid prendisolone 250mg. Monday third course with tapering off and then till five courses to see if it's helping or not. Maybe the ENT will ask if I want to try intratympanic (prednisone locally in ear with needle trough eardrum) or give 5 extra infusions more. What is smart to do?

I have major hearing loss since 7 days (15-20% better now on the second course of prednisone today) but also pressure and fullness in the ear and major clicking eardrum when swallowing or eustachian tube, it's the remaining fluid from the infection in your middle ear said the ENT.

He saw no infection anymore but can he really see this from looking in the eardrum? He said there was also a perforation which closed in 1 day. I've started on the 7th day after the infection with prednisone infusion, I hope I am not too late again for the salvage treatment.

My ear is almost going to clear up but I have a little bit pain now in that ear and sounds are muffled really really strange like a robot or echo sound, sometimes from far away and sometimes like someone is yelling in my ear.. verry disappointing!! It's a now as I said 15-20 % better bur still persists,

What could I do more? Do you have tips for me? Will valsalva help to clear up the fluid or will this cause extra problems.

Could I take NAC also to prevent extra cell dead and support prednisone therapy? I can't find any interactions between this two but red NAC's positive role on hearing loss (preventing or also fixing almost dead cochlea tiny hearing cells??)

What a Life, 2 years almost suffering with High pitched constant screeching T in left ear and now hit the other ear....... I am angry and disappointed but what I can do more?

Is it true that prendisone only works on first day with hearing problems?