Ear Twitches/Thumps When I Talk?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by cheyennes, Oct 25, 2018.

1. cheyennes

cheyennes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      This has been going on for a while but is happening more frequently lately. When I talk, or even just smile sometines, something inside my ears (mostly my left ear) reacts; it kind of twitches and makes a "thump" sound. It feels like something in there is quickly expanding and contracting, or being pushed and then released. This also happens when I hear a moderately loud noise. It doesn't seem like hyperacusis because it's not painful, per se, but it is very uncomfortable.

I was diagnosed with ETD last month and have developed some TMJ pain/stiffness recently as well, mostly on the left side of my face. I understand the probable cause of my ear fullness and jaw soreness, but this twitchy sensation in my ears is mystifying. I had to cut a conversation short earlier because it happened at nearly every word I said. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have. It is called tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS). It is my understanding that it gets better, but it could take a year or longer for it to happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. aimeemaire
      Depressed

aimeemaire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/MEM
      @cheyennes I also get thumping, but mine is triggered more by burping/hiccuping/yawning. Sometimes it just starts out of nowhere. It's maddening.

Let me know if you ever find anything that helps, and I will do the same!

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tonic Tensor Typani Spasms
      TTTS

A muscle in the middle ear is spasming, most likely due to a neurological defense mechanism because their is a loss of hearing in that ear or something else is damaged. No one knows for sure.