Eardrum Grey, Concave (Pressure Imbalance), Possibly Some Fluid Behind It — How to Fix?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      At Neuromod on Tuesday the Lead Audiologist said my eardrum on the right [the perpetrator of my tinnitus problems] looked grey, concave [like a pressure imbalance] and possibly some fluid behind it. Ear drums are supposed to be pink and reflect the light from the ear thingy. I don't have any symptoms I'm aware of.

Can anyone recommend any supplements or anything that will help restore it to health again?

The Audiologist mentioned that it can take 10 weeks or so for a eardrum to recover following infection - which I had at the beginning of October. Suggestions welcome.

2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Took me more than 10 weeks, more like 3 months using an antibiotic nasal spray and antibiotic ear drops. My ear canal was swollen from infection and with that our wonderful friend tinnitus joined in, plus hearing loss. Any meds you take you should research them to be sure they are not ototoxic.

3. Mandalay
      Curious

Mandalay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Allan,

It seems like your ear infection isn't completely gone, whatever it was.
      So I guess antibiotics would be worth a try, well I hope I'm right.

I'm dealing with a similar thing again, but mine is not visible on the ear drum yet.
      Just everything feels swollen, I'm on antibiotics actually.
      I guess my eustachian tube on the right side doesn't work well.

Usually it's good to take either Amoxicillin or Cefuroxime axetil. Many people are allergic against Amoxicillin, but usually these are not ototoxic. I'm on Cefuroxime axetil now. It helps, but it did not heal completely yet, but improved a lot.
      I still have two more days to go on these antibiotics.

How was your visit at Neuromod besides that?

Wishing you good luck...