Earplugs and Concerts.

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by LillianLexicon97, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      Dear Dr. Nagler,
      I've recently come across some threads regarding the attendance of concerts, discussing how despite earplugs tinnitus can still be aggravated and permanently worsened through bone conduction. I just wanted your opinion on this. Should people still attend concerts/festivals? Should we just avoid any event louder than 85+ decibels?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Lillian, I understand your concern. Let me put it this way ... if you are looking for 100% guarantees, then in tinnitus you have absolutely chosen the wrong affliction. But that said, I think that the chances of tinnitus' being aggravated and made permanently worse through bone conduction when using good earplugs at a concert are extremely remote.

In my opinion, YES. Just use earplugs. Regardless of whether or not they have tinnitus, everybody attending loud concerts or loud sporting events should use earplugs.

No!!! In fact the day after tomorrow, my wife and I will be attending a Rolling Stones concert here in Atlanta. And I'm quite sure it will be louder than 85+ decibels.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 6