Earplugs: Will They Help or Hurt My Recovery?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PrizeFighter23, Aug 17, 2016.

1. PrizeFighter23

PrizeFighter23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi all. As a quick overview, A little over 3 weeks ago, I developed Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, and a crackling when I swallow in my right ear after attending a loud dance party. I've gone to my GP, ENT, and Audiologist, and had a hearing test done that all said my hearing was fine (up to 8,000hz).

Since then, I've been hoping that it might resolve over time. One thing that I've noticed, is that when I plug my ear with my finger, I can diminish the ringing by almost 90%, and it will stay quiet for a minute or two even after removing my finger from my ear. I figured that I should maybe buy some earplugs and leave one in my right ear during the day, and maybe it would help my ear heal. However, I've heard some people say that it might actually slow my Hyperacusis progress, and maybe even my T.

I'm hoping to get some insight into this from everyone. Thank you!

2. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I have had T for almost 6 months, in the beginning I would use ear plugs for a lot bc I was in fear it would get worse . But now I only use them for movies and church ( it's loud from the music ), maybe every now and then if I go to a loud bar I might put them in. But I don't put them in for everyday noises. I would download a decimal app. It's not 100% accurate but it gives you an idea. After I while your ears won't be as sensitive as they are right now! It took me five months to start listening to volume 10 on the car radio!

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Generally the conscious among audiologist is to be intellectual regarding your earplug use. Use them in concerts, mowing the law, power tools and noisey situations - do not use them for day to day activities.

4. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      Like the guy said above me, Wear them to avoid noise above 80db, but dont wear them all day otherwise your ears will not get used to sound and the hyperacusis will take longer to sort out.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PrizeFighter23

PrizeFighter23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thank you for all the replies everyone! So the general consensus is to just have them handy while they still might heal over the next however-many months.

How long does Hyperacusis generally take to clear up after noise exposure? I can tell it's been getting a little better.

Also, I seem to have some times where the T is way lower, and changes almost to a hissing sound, but then later it will be right back up at a louder high pitched ring. Is there any indication that I'm making it worse when it goes up, or is healing kind of random like that?

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wear earplugs whenever environmental sounds annoy me, and often sleep with them for the entire night. Fifteen years into this condition I do not believe it's done me any harm; however, I've never had more than mild hyperacusis. (I also do not wear them all the time, or every night, by a long shot).

The up and downs in tinnitus intensity you describe are very normal.