Earwax Flows to End of Ear Canal and Stays There — How to Remove It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mohn, Apr 7, 2021.

1. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Team -

I posted this question even though it seems like a trivial issue because the members here are very experienced and helpful and could give insights that my PCP might have missed.

For the past few weeks I have felt something flowing down my ear canal and when I take self-video of ear (using phone camera), I see that earwax is trickled to end of ear canal. From there it is not falling out. My PCP advised against using Q-tips even when I could see the earwax (hopefully this is earwax and nothing else... color consistency looks like earwax).

What is least risky way to remove the earwax that is visible at the edge of ear canal?

Why is earwax trickling down? Thin cerumen? Skin issues? I went to PCP after one such earwax flow (for lack of better words) and they found no eardrum perforation, infection, etc. And at least 3/4 of the ear was not covered with earwax when viewed by PCP with an otoscope (?).

Thanks,
      Mohn

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      There are two types of cerumen.
      • Wet cerumen is more common in Caucasians and Africans.
      • Dry cerumen is more common among Native Americans, Pacific Islanders and Asians.
      To help prevent any issues with earwax, you can put olive oil in your ears once a week.