Electrical Stimulation of the Ear and Cervical Spine Kinesitherapy

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Fish, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I don't know if somebody posted this before but this really seems promising:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22682958

Department of Otolaryngology and Laryngological Oncology,
      Medical University of Lodz, Lodz 90-549, 113 Zeromskiego Street, Poland.

Now the great thing about it - this study was done in my hospital! It's the exact department I visited this morning. I'm not sure what to do about it, but perhaps I could try contacting the doctors responsible for this and ask if any more trials are going to be done.

edit: I located all three of the doctors who participated in this study, one of them has an office in my city and is accepting patients. I'm going to visit him as soon as possible.

The other two are professors at our university so I might also try to find them when the summer holiday is over.

I have nothing to lose and they sure know a lot about tinnitus. Maybe they'll manage to help me out somehow.

2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Great find thanks for posting!! I was unaware of that study.

Also please keep us updated if you go through the treatment. We hope it goes well for you if you do.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I visited prof. Olszewski today and asked about some details of his treatment.

One main thing he told me - he doesn't believe in any drugs to be effective. According to him, no drug ever really worked to treat tinnitus and this is unlikely for such a drug to be developed, due to the origins of tinnitus.

I need to undergo more diagnostics to find the cause of my T. I mentioned what my theories and concerns are, he said everything is possible but we need to do more tests. So, among suspects are:

- allergies (he looked in my nose and said it's very dry and congested, this could create pressure in middle ear)
      - TMJ
      - noise trauma. I attended a Queen concert week before it all started, but I didn't have T right after! I don't know...

etc.

Then I asked about electrostimulation of cochlea (this is an experimental treatment prof. Olszewski works on) and it really does help. They've been working on it for several years now, I found some articles about it from 2007. Results vary but it works for about ~40% of the patients with subjective tinnitus. There are several sessions few times a week, each session is 10 minutes long. Team working on this therapy is:

J. Olszewski, M. Mielczarek, W. Konopka.

If you put their names in google, there is a lot of articles about this treatment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. BOB3000

BOB3000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nice find, keep us updated on your experiences.

5. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Fish, thanks for the info

in the nih article you linked it said that the frequencies of the electrical current wee related to the frequencies of the tinnitus

i wonder if it is a one to one relationship...T around 4000 hz gets zapped with alternating current of 4K hz

i wonder where the electrodes are placed...

hmmmm now where did i put my oscillator and voltmeter

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I am back from hospital (3 days). Did a lot of sophisticated tests that revealed nothing, RTG revealed lordosis. Nobody could tell if this causes my T. I need some exercise to treat the spine problem and I also have an opportunity to undergo this electrostimulation treatment in few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I know this is really old ( been stalking lots of forums!) is this a promising treatment for tinnitus?

8. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
    9. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi @Fish do you have news about electrostimulation? Anyway I emailed the staff to know if their are continuing the study or if this treatment is available

10. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
    11. Dan77

Dan77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Dear All,

Because of the things I faced and the things I saw in the world, I believe it's all due to microwaves hearing concept, may be that's why you wont have this when you are under water and it reduces while you are having a shower. I also believe that we should push our governements to stop this crime.

Regards,
      Dan

12. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I wanted to post this article in the "research news" section. I found this thread.
      Association Between Subjective Tinnitus and Cervical Spine or Temporomandibular Disorders: A Systematic Review
      See attached file.

Attached Files: