ENT visit - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Graebird, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Graebird

Graebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Is it a normal for an ENT to tell you it is a mild hearing loss, ringing in the ears causes that, it is probably hereditary AND nothing can be done, but then:

1) Tell you the fullness in your ears isn't there because the ear drum test was perfect...
      2) Tell you he doesn't do sore throats, the sore throat has nothing to do with the ears (even though I explained it's worse when the ears are really bad and it travels DOWN from the ears)
      3) Ignore when you mention vertigo - didn't even ask when I had it.
      4) Seemed uninterested in some pain that went from my nose to my ear

Really - is this normal? He did a hearing test that was found mild loss in both ears. Which is very weird because I swear ten years ago I had moderate loss in the right ear.

He is having me to an MRI and maybe EEG with my normal Dr. but that's only because of some other weird symptoms (zip - zipping across back of head at night) that he said was "bey0nd his realm."

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, it is normal for an ENT to tell you these things. ENTs are only able to rule out possible causes for your issue, whether it be a tumor or something else. After ruling out these things there is really nothing else they can do for you in regards to tinnitus.

1) Yes, I had fullness too and still occasionally do - ENT said nothing to do with T and more likely due to anxiety
      2) Yes, I had ETD, acid reflux, throat issues - all told by my ENT that nothing to do with my T and again likely due to anxiety.
      3) I had vertigo, vision issues and was sent me to Neurologist. Got MRI and had no tumors but found out I might have something else.
      4) I had ear pain - told it was more of reaction to T then actually ear damage
      5) Told I had no hearing loss in standard audiogram and high frequency audiogram- I think I do however in very high frequency out of the reach of standard hearing tests.

I was sent to neurologist, got 2 MRI's, multitude of tests and told I have an autoimmune disease which T is a symptom of. After much testing and trying to figure out what I have for 6 months now and it is looking more like is MS.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Graebird

Graebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks so much for answering. That explains a lot. I just walked out of the office wondering why the Dr wouldn't even ask about a few things and then wondering if I was going nuts. Or thinking maybe he thought I was. I'm just so tired of unexplained things going on! Good Luck to you!

4. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Glad I could help and by the way 90% of fullness, 100% of my acid reflux and 100% of my throat issues are NO longer issues now that I have my panic/anxiety about tinnitus under control....

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Graebird

Graebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had tinnitus for years and it never bothered me. Even when I started getting "zip zip" electrical noises across the back of my head at night - thought it was weird and scary at first, but was OK. I've had the fullness for at least four months, but It wasn't until a couple of night ago that I "went offline" for 1/2 a sec that I started to get worried. I guess the journey begins!

6. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Yes ENT usually can't do anything else, you mentioned that your recent hearing test, you had "mild" hearing loss where before it was moderate? Your hearing seems to have improved on the right ear?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Graebird

Graebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes - you read that correctly. According to what I remember from a hearing test ten years ago, my hearing is better. Go figure because nothing else is!!!

8. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      You're improving with age.....:)