ENTs Should Know Better Than to Use Pressured Air in Your Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by nj78, Dec 21, 2016.

1. nj78

nj78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Asymmetric hearing loss
      I had my first intratympanic injection today, which I have to say is probably one of the most unpleasant experiences I ever had in my life, I hope the next three injections will be better.

But what really annoyed me is at the beginning the nurse using pressured air to blow Lidocaine into my ear. The air was quite loud and uncomfortable. Here I am trying to protect whatever hearing I have left, and at the ENT they do this. When I told her it's way too loud and if they have another way to do administer the Lidocaine, she just told me that she has to do this and they do it to all their patients. *facepalm* Doctor then later just said next time we can just skip it. Don't think the Lidocaine did much anyways, the injection was still very painful, so that works for me. But they should still have another way to deliver it to your ear than just use the same device they also use for the nose.

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ask if they can do a dab of phenol. No suctioning needed.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nj78

nj78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Asymmetric hearing loss

Thanks, will do, I guess you are the expert on these injections due the trial you participated in. Right before the injection, he put something in my ear that burned like hell, I assume it was some combination of disinfectant and numbing agent.

I had some notable tinnitus spike last night from the injection, but seems to have subsided today. Also, I had the impression my hearing worsened a little bit in this ear for an hour or so, it seems to be back to baseline now as well. Did you have similar issues after your injections?