Episode 4: Tinnitus Management: Who Cares? — Richard Tyler, PhD

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, May 30, 2019.

1. tinnitus-talk-podcast-episode-4-richard-tyler.png

Hey there everyone!

How can clinicians and patients work together? Why is tinnitus sub-typing important? Does loudness matter? What does habituation really mean? What different forms of counselling and treatment are available for tinnitus? These are some of the questions addressed in this episode.

Tinnitus Talk spoke with Richard Tyler, from the University of Iowa. His career in tinnitus spans many decades. He has vast experience in both tinnitus research and patient care and is passionate about connecting those two worlds.

Richard also talks about the annual conference on tinnitus management that he is organising this year for the 27th time in Iowa. The conference is open to patients.

If you want to take part in Richard’s “Random Acts of Tinnitus Relief” project – which he talks about at 53:28 – you can email him at tinnitus2@healthcare.uiowa.edu.

become-a-tinnitus-talk-patron.png

Listen on:

We welcome any discussion, but please keep the following in mind when commenting:
      • Off-topic comments, i.e. not directly responding to the content of the podcast, will be removed. So please do listen before commenting!
      • While we welcome constructive criticism on ideas or policies, we do not tolerate direct attacks on individuals.

This episode was produced, as usual, by @Markku, @Jack Straw and @Hazel. Do you want to join our team as well? Let us know!

Here’s a teaser for our upcoming episodes. We have quite a few things in the pipeline:
      • We interviewed Luisa Scott, the Chief Scientific Officer and founder of Cognosetta, a drug discovery company advancing pharmaceutical therapies for tinnitus;
      • We interviewed Marcelo Rivolta, a stem cell researcher focusing on hearing regeneration;
      • We interviewed Winfried Schlee, the scientific coordinator of the Tinnitus Research Initiative;
      • And we interviewed two of the authors of the new European Clinical Practice Guidelines for tinnitus.

So a lot of exciting things coming up! We just need to figure out in what order to publish these interviews, and conduct the editing, which is always quite a chore.

Don't forget to:
      Sharing Is Caring
      Share the podcast on your social media and with your tinnitus friends!

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      How to help new severe tinnitus patients: deal with the anxiety first. Monitored Therapy and anxiety medication.
      Excellent.

I never heard of any cases where CIs lessened or made tinnitus go away. Hearing better? From personal experience talking with CI patients the hearing was different. More robotic in nature rather than normal like we are used to.

Excellent at @Jack Straw - Interesting so far will finish the rest tomorrow. Your interviews are professional.
      Thanks for the time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Thank you everyone for your time and effort.

This podcast did not give me much hope. I have a severed artery. I do not need more band aids.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      We have more 'hopeful' episodes coming up soon, including an interview with a stem cell researcher. But in the meantime, we also feel it's important to provide guidance with regards to to what's currently available.

And remember: Send Ideas and Suggestions for Future Podcast Episodes

We want to meet the needs out there, but need your input!

In the meantime, I was hoping to get a few more reactions on this episode...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Again thanks for these podcasts. I really enjoy them and I know all the hard work that goes into these :) and @Jack Straw's smooth radio voice of course, haha. This episode was not my favourite if I’m honest but I know some people will enjoy this and find it helpful.

I appreciate all the different episodes and subjects you are all introducing so please don’t take this as me being ungrateful for which I am not.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Johnny B
      Artistic

Johnny B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It was helpful to hear that setting a sound generator volume level low, as opposed to just below the mixing point may be a better strategy. I have been trying to wear sound generators with white noise for months, and tried to set the sound at the 'prescribed' level and have often felt that the sound was 'blowing up' my ears, i.e. making my tinnitus louder. I am now going to try setting the sound level just above hearing threshold, as an experiment to see what happens. What have I got to lose?

That one tip made the whole podcast valuable to me. Thank you Richard and Tinnitus Talk!

• Like Like x 3
    7. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      I have the same experience with masking; it's tricky to get it right and sometimes it just seems to trigger my tinnitus even more. Glad you found it useful :)

8. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Loved the podcast. Seems like a reasonable guy!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma