Expose Ears to Sound -> Hear Ringing / Earplugs On -> Tinnitus Almost Inaudible — Why Is This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by deanalewis, May 14, 2015.

1. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Can anyone tell me why when I expose my ear to sound I can hear ringing but if I put ear plugs in my ears my T is very hard to hear over the sound of silence.

When I plug my ears for example I can still hear various sounds which to me what I call silence.

Anyone experience this

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hi Folks,

I find that if I am at home and the TV is on low my T is made worse as my right ear which has hearing loss turns up the gain which increases the T in my left ear.

But what I also find is if i put an ear plug in my ear with T the silence or sound of silence to me drowns it out.

I am thinking it could be because my right ear (without tinnitus) has hearing loss so its causing my left ear with (noise trauma) + tinnitus to increase its gain when I try to concentrate on softer sounds and as such the T becomes louder.

Can anyone backup this theory?

Also I watched a youtube video :
      This is what my tinnitus sounds like 24 hours...

If you set the youtube volume to 25% sound and your windows sound to 1% thats what I hear?

Would anyone consider that loud?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hey

I've had T for a week and its pissing me off I dont have it as loud as some people here but its annoying.

I could live with it but its like having that barking dog outside I can adapt lol.

But my big question is why when I put an ear plug in my ear with ,T I hear complete silence yet when I am watching tv with no ear plugs my ears are like jet engines.

Is this reactive T? Also I've noticed my good ear has hearing loss but no T so is it possible that my bad ear is increasing the gain and thus making the ear with T louder?

4. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      if you hear silence its not tinnitus you have.

5. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      so many of us would do anything to hear complete silence.

6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      If anyone plugs their ears you'll get feedback.