Exposed to Loud Noise from Jackhammer

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mymlan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I just figured that a jackhammer is as loud as 130 decibels. I was exposed to this sound in a tunnel, passing a building site for 30 seconds. I can never ever recover from this. I’m absolutely devastated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have a success story from a guy who was exposed to right around that decibel and for much longer than 30 seconds.

It took time, but he made a full recovery. You will get through this. Spikes are just that. Spikes. Lots of love.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you have had tinnitus for only a few months I think you have a very good chance to recover. The thing about sound damage is that it is cumulative. The effect builds up over time and there is a point when things just dont go well.. but at the beginning you should be ok. The pressure, headaches, tinnitus and all that will be horrible after a sound like a jackhammer but in a month or so they should clear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Give it time, it was a brief exposure. Sometimes a good nights sleep can help with resetting things back to where they were.

If exposed to loud noise again, and you're not the one driving, plug your ears with your fingers. Some form of protection is better than nothing.

I hope things improve for you quickly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      > massive loss of nerve to hair cell connections caused by dangerous noise levels
      > full recovery

pick one

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Many people do report their tinnitus fading, even after being exposed to dangerous noises...

First of all, have you experienced a tinnitus spike or ear fullness as a result of this incident? If your tinnitus became louder, then it would make sense for you to worry about this spike being permanent only if you don't experience any fading after about a month. Temporary spikes can take over three months to fade. Of course this experience hasn't promoted your healing. Learn from it and do what you can to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

7. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-normal.31789/

There ya go.

I have to laugh because you're almost always a downer in all your posts. I recognize reality checks have their place, but among the fear in onset of tinnitus on a support page - it's not necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh, I think that my message was a bit confusing. This is what happened to begin with, almost three months ago. If you read my first post. I didn’t have tinnitus or hyperacusis. I was passing this tunnel, and I just figured out how loud the sound might be yesterday from searching around the web, because the ones with the responsibility for this are all lying to me.

So that was my first acoustic trauma. I never had a second one.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you!

This is not a spike. This was a message referring to my first acoustic trauma. Didn’t have a second one.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had all of theese problems for about three months already and I have not seen any improvement yet.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you :)
      I hope that too. But I haven’t seen any improvement for three months soon... :(
      130 decibels from a jackhammer are really loud, and walking in a tunnel, hearing that sound from outside. It was almost like they were hammering inside the tunnel! All my problems started that day. I didn’t have tinnitus before that. It’s like I died the 18th of April this year!

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It should be ok, sometimes it takes a few months. Three months is a lot, but hearing takes a lot of time to recover. Have you been to an ENT? Go see what doctors say.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The doctors are useless (as always). I’ve already been there and saw one ENT who just told me that this will not go away. They did one audiogram. They cannot help me further.

14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Seriously? Drs are useless when it comes to this condition.

The rest are correct, imho. Unfortunately, it's a waiting game of hope and trying to avoid further acoustic trauma.

15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's completely absurd. Even normal inflammation, otitis, may take 2-3 months to clear completely.