Extra Time to Heal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John CC, Aug 15, 2018.

1. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hello everyone. Just wondering (again).

How important are the first 3 to 4 months in the healing process of tinnitus?

I have come to understand, rightly or wrongly, that they are very important to healing.

My tinnitus is fluctuating form silence, as far as I can tell, to a 9 on the tinnitus scale, and it has been improving overall, something I am very thankful for.

I am very lucky in that I have the opportunity to extend my time off another 2 months, giving me about 3 1/2 months of controlled quiet. I am a teacher, and teach in an active and loud school, even though I have purchased 25dB moulded earplugs, I know that that is not a guarantee.

Any thoughts?
      As always thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JohnCC

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @John CC Hi John, As we discussed by PM your cochlea and auditory pathway directly absorbed energy from (phone) wireless connectivity and it can only take a fraction of a second. This involves the auditory pathway, but also the facial nerve can make your T fluctuate from 0 to 9. Your T should get better as healing takes place from electrical impulse. Protecting your ears from more sound pressure is important as your facial nerve has involvement. I really know nothing about this myself, but I contacted an old friend from MIT to help someone on this board over a year ago with a similar situation, electric toothbrush and phone. I reread his emails and it seems that you had the same experience.

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @JohnCC,

For some reason, the first thing that came to mind is that you might be a good candidate for some type of laser therapy. I think somebody posted recently on how it helped their tinnitus, but I can't find that post at the moment. I think there's various kinds of laser therapies, but in general, it sounds like it might be similar to sunlight soothing traumatized nerves. A woman posted recently about sunshine on her ears helped her tinnitus. -- Best!

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It would seem that way. I had a secondary acoustic trauma happen during this time, and ended up being a huge setback.
      Are you sure you don't want to get the earplugs with the highest possible NRR of 33 dB?
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ata-for-3m-hearing-protection-products.30726/

8 dB is a lot...

• Like Like x 1