Favorite Theories about What Causes Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DudeMannDude, Feb 25, 2016.

1. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What are your favorite theories about what causes tinnitus? To be clear, I am not talking about the scientific theories, I am talking about those theories that leave you scratching your head.

For example, here is a sect of tinnitus sufferers who believe this noise in our heads is aliens trying to contact us/a sign you are about to be abducted: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread40863/pg1

Maybe if I line my hats with tin foil it will cut off the communication with the other beings and stop the ringing?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      What causes it?
      Stupidity, ignorance, bad luck and meds mostly. Like almost any of today's problems unfortunately :)
      How's your music going?

3. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Scientific research is not theorized but the characteristics and elements that make up the discovered pieces are shown through months and years of researched work. The theories you guys talk about on here are in fact theories. But like I said, scientific research is not just theories, it's actually proven work and material. Sorry, just had to put that out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I laughed when I read about the theory that we are specially blessed because we hear ringing.

I have yet to hear any woo-woo theories about the other sounds of tinnitus such as buzzing, hissing, chirping, morse code, tea kettle whistles, train brakes screeching on a track, roaring, electric static, cicadas, etc., etc.

5. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thought experiment: if you believed this, would you be happy that you had tinnitus?

Further thought experiment: is it possible to choose to believe something for personal gain?

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://timothytrespas.wordpress.co...r-a-sound-that-does-not-go-away-not-tinnitus/

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Aboriginals believe tinnitus is a sign of their loved ones trying to communicate from the afterlife