First Noticed My Ears Ringing After Incapacitating Migraine — Having a Hard Time, Trying to Cope

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rkp, Jan 26, 2021.

1. rkp

rkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I first noticed my ears ringing after having a horrible day-long incapacitating migraine back in September. It hasn't stopped at all since then.

It's so loud, I have trouble sleeping. Left ear is louder than the right, and they both ring differently, so it is super-hard to tune it out.

I am having some trouble coping, and trying out different things, and hoping to find some ideas on this forum. COVID-19 is really bad in my area right now so I haven't seen the doctor about it yet, but I have had some problems with vertigo and ear congestion in the past, and have seen ENTs and audiologists and doctors to no avail, so I am not confident they can help me (but I am willing to go and try).

I am over 50 at this point so I am wondering if it's age-related, or something else. Crossing fingers for something else, that can be addressed!

Anyways thank you for having this forum and I am glad to have found it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ringingfeet

ringingfeet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hey rkp,

Welcome to the forum.

How noticeable is the ringing during the daytime, inside and outside?

3. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Hi there, rkp! Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I want to say that I am dreadfully sorry to hear about both your issues of migraine and how your onset of this symptom has began. I have had to deal with rough headaches in the past, and they were certainly debilitating for me, but I don't think they were at the level of severe migraines. Being able to simply exist through those periods takes strength beyond words.

The issue with ENTs and audiologists is that there simply isn't a whole lot they can do, and it's even worse if they don't know or care much about the condition.

It may be a good idea to see a neurologist if at all possible, mostly to address the issue of your migraine. Some users here on the forum also visit one for consultation for their tinnitus. Of course, it's certainly better if you can find one that has some sort of knowledge of the symptom, and that can be rarely. This also goes for an ENT. Many have also recommended that you see a neurotologist who specialize more in how your ears connect to the brain.

Unfortunately, I am still having trouble coping with this for the most part, but this forum still has a wealth of information to sift through, and you may very well find something that works for you. It might also be a good idea to start looking into supplements, and there are many good recommendations here in that respect.

I wish you the best of luck and great hope in finding a solution to your problems.