First Time Poster

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Dear friends:

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to say hello to everyone suffering from these serious ear afflictions. Specifically in my case ,mostly hyperacusis for 21 years. Although I do have some tinnitus ,but it is not much of a problem.

I found out about this site from coming across a link called " What on earth is happening at the Hyperacusis Network Forum?", which is also the title, of course, of a past thread here. That thread caught my eye because I have had a lot of trouble over the years at the Hyperacusis Network Message Board as have had so many others I see. Unfortunately that thread for some reason is not accepting any further contributions, which is unfortunate because I would have a lot to say!

I am glad this alternate forum is here for we who have hyperacusis because I do not wish to post at the Hyperacusis Network for now. I am especially in need to share these days because I am having what some h. people call a setback, in other words my ears are worse these days because of some excessive noise exposure. Usually I have a tolerable case of h., but my ears have been more sensitive for a week now, and I always panic when that happens, as I am sure many of you understand. What happened was that I listened to sound on my TV for a little too long. For some reason cheap tinny sound from any electronic instrument wrecks my ears quickly, as opposed to natural sounds of equal intensity that do not. It is a little quirk of my particular condition. We all make mistakes but it is so frustrating to now constantly be tormented to every irritating sound.

I have recovered from these setbacks before back to a tolerable level ( NOT a cure of course), but sometimes it takes a long time, and I always worry that I may have permanently damaged myself. It is hard not to beat oneself up with regrets, like "why did you that?" ,"you KNOW that it was a risk... blah blah etc....". Sometimes I wonder if the mental torment is worse than the increased hyperacusis. Anyways, that is what is going on with me!

Take care.

Marco

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      I totally understand What you saying as a h sufferer. Why did i do this and is this permanent. Everytime i have this when i Where in loud Noise for longer time. I think time is a good healer. But in that time we are full of fear

3. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Marc. I saw you at TSMB and chat-h, I'm jirimenzel and mongis over there. One of these days i'll write a forum post here on Rob's disgraceful shortcomings, when I can be arsed, to make sure his ludicrous rhetoric doesn't go unchecked.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To Bekker:

Thank you for your reply. It made me feel so much better to know that someone understands what I am going through. I really needed to read it from someone. Knowing it just intellectually was not enough. I have not had such a bad setback in about 2-3 years, just little ones, so I am afraid. Except for one time in 21 years I have always gotten better, but sometimes it takes a long time. My h. going up and down, getting better unexpectedly, and then worse for some other reason these days. What an affliction this hyperacusis.

Thanks again.I really appreciate it.

To Jirimenzel:

Thanks for your reply. I only vaguely remember you from TSMB, I am sorry. I find it nice that you have not attacked me, so many there now dislike me because of my "breaking" their stupid rules. It got to the point where I am now banned there permanently. The point of the banning was to have me submit and no humiliate me. I will never submit to anyone's arbitrary unjust authority. I am glad I had a chance there to get back at Nagler who I HATE from the bottom of my heart for his smug and hypocritical behavior over the years.

Now I have to get use here to another website , and not knowing the limits permitted here stresses me out. I have found over the years that some of my own worst enemies have been those with hyperacusis. It does not matter that you share the same affliction which theoretically should bring you closer : these people want you to conform to their ways of expressing themselves and that is that. Otherwise, no empathy and compassion, just rejection.

As far as this Rob, well I have been wondering if the Rob of the TSMB is the same Rob as at the Hyperacusis Network. If so, that Rob MAY be the one who suggests idiotic dangerous things to people regarding dealing with hyperacusis. Let me emphasise that I do not know if it is Rob of both sites who does that, but someone at the Malcore H. site does, and when I got furious at the dangerous situation, I got banned there too.

Last thing: what does the expression you use "when I can be arsed" mean? It sounds funny. Is it British, like the expression "rat arsed"?

Take care.

Marco

5. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Marc22, wow you've had for 21 years? I've got mine for just under six months and I'm already struggling so hard. :(

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Welcome. There are a lot of people here with hyperacusis ranging from mild to very severe.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alue:

Thanks for your welcome.

Lex:

Yes, 21 years now. I certainly understand your struggle. My first 6 months were really hard. Ended up in a psych ward 3 times because of anxiety and acute depression, lost 25 pounds, started to drink and do drugs....Then I got better psychologically even though my hyperacusis had not gotten worse. I started to adjust to a new life.

When my hyperacusis is not too bad, which luckily has been the case most of the time, it is not that much of a struggle. You sort of get used to a limited life. But when the hyperacusis is bad, as it is for me these days, it is Hell. And I have had many hellish periods over 21 years .

Unless one stays in one's room all the time, it is inevitable that with all the noise around in our society, you are bound to make mistakes and over-expose yourself to extra noise out there that you thought you could put up with. That is what I did 10 days ago, and I am paying the price. Even after 21 years of experience , mistakes will be made , especially if you live in a Big City as I do. There is ssssssooooooo much noise around. So be careful. Your ears have a certain capacity for recovery if you protect yourself. But it is slow.

By the way, what was the cumulative noise exposure that caused your hyperacusis?

Marco

To a moderator:

Is there an edit function somewhere? I see mistakes I made and I cannot correct them.

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Only for a limited time after posting. If you don't see it and would like something edited, contact a moderator (e.g. me) via a private conversation and give a link to a post you want edited, and what to update.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Markku:

Thanks for the info.

Marco

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Getting worse...going down the drain. Depressed as hell.

11. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Rob is a manipulative sociopath and Moz is his mindless lap dog. i understand your frustration regarding the TSMB, Marc.